Britannia, feminine personification of Britain renowned for her beauty and wisdom, has enjoyed a relationship with the coins of the United Kingdom for almost 2,000 years.
- Contains 5 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- Comes in the original mint box with a certificate of authenticity.
- Limited presentation of only 650 coins with a maximum mintage of 1,150 coins.
- Obverse: Features the fifth likeness of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and the monetary denomination, design by Jody Clark.
- Reverse: Features a nautical themed Britannia by artist Antony Dufort.
- Sovereign coin backed by British government.
This exceptional coin would be a great addition to any coin collection. Add this beautiful coin to your cart today!
Over time, Britannia coins have become a showcase for British artists with many eager to share their interpretation of the enduring icon. Antony Dufort has turned to traditional nautical elements for his elegant interpretation, but gives a modern feel to his design, proving once more that Britannia’s history can combine with contemporary design to stunning effect.
Over the years, the image of Britannia has altered slightly, with her maritime links being emphasized by switching her spear to a trident. Britannia is seen as a symbol of British unity, liberty and strength, meaning she resurfaces during particularly challenging times. Like Columbia in the U.S. and Marianne in France, Britannia becomes more prominent in times of war or when national pride is booming.
In 1987, Britannia’s image graced the new Gold bullion coin minted by the Royal Mint known as the Gold Britannia. These Gold coins have since grown in popularity as an investment and a collector’s piece. Gold Britannias are available in sizes as small as 1/20 oz and as large as 5 oz Gold coins. In 1997, the Royal Mint expanded this design to a Silver bullion coin known as the Silver Britannia. Over time, both the Gold Britannia and Silver Britannia have experienced changes in design and an increase in metal purity, making them major players in the modern coin market.