King Cnut, the man that united England, Denmark, Norway and parts of Sweden into one North Sea Empire often referred to as the Anglo-Scandinavian Empire, is in the first release in the APMEXclusive® 15-Coin Vikings series from the Scottsdale Mint.
- Contains 2 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- Housed in a round wooden display box designed with a short cross quatrefoil, which was on the King Cnut coins minted during his reign, surrounded by the Runic alphabet.
- Obverse: Displays the Raphael Maklouf likeness of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II surrounded by the weight, purity and face value.
- Reverse: Features a depiction of King Cnut wearing a crown and holding a scepter. His cloak clasp is a quatrefoil coin design, popular when Cnut was in power and the type he would have minted. Above him is "Cnut Rex Anglorum" written in Runic, which translates to "Cnut, King of England".
- Edge: Laser etched serial number, from 1 to 1,999, matches the serial number found on the included certificate of authenticity.
- Guaranteed by the Scottsdale Mint.
Complete your Viking Series collection or give this striking 2 oz Silver coin as a gift. Add this 2 oz Silver King Cnut coin to your order today!
King Cnut is remembered for stabilizing England, Denmark, Norway, and parts of Sweden and unifying the regions into one empire from A.D. 1016-1035. Humility was his hallmark trait, often illustrated by the tale of "King Cnut and the Waves," wherein Cnut had his throne placed on the seashore as the tide was coming in.
Sitting upon his throne, he stretched out his hand and commanded the tide to recede. The ocean responded by continuing its advance, covering the king's feet and soaking his royal garments.
Cnut turned to the small audience accompanying him and said, "Let all men know how empty and worthless is the power of kings, for there is none worthy of the name, but He whom heaven, earth, and sea obey by eternal laws." He placed his crown upon a crucifix and never wore it again.
Scottsdale Mint first released the 15-Coin Vikings: Gods, Kings and Warriors series in 2015. Each Silver coin in this Vikings Series depicts a famous Viking god, king or warrior. This 15-coin series will include: Odin, Ragnar, King Cnut, Thor, Harald Fairhair, Bjorn Ironside, Loki, Tyr, Freya, Ivar the Boneless, Eric BloodAxe, Harald Hardrada, Egil Skallagrimsson, Freydís Eiríksdóttir and Gudfred. Collectors will recognize Scottsdale's effort in creating a Viking coin series that is not only exquisitely crafted in stunning detail, but one that is historically accurate and pays homage to the Norse culture. Start collect these Silver Vikings coins today!