On July 27, 1866, a new era of global communication began as the S.S. Great Eastern steamed into Heart’s Content, Newfoundland, to complete a link that could relay messages quickly between the Old World and the New. This fine Silver proof dollar commemorates the 150th anniversary of that transatlantic telegraph cable, which revolutionized communications while transforming Newfoundland into an international communication hub.
- Contains 0.75 oz of .9999 fine Silver.
- Coins come in a mint-issued maroon clamshell box with a certificate of authenticity.
- Limited mintage of only 20,000 coins.
- Obverse: The effigy of Queen Elizabeth II.
- Reverse: A starboard side view of the S.S. Great Eastern as the iron steamship triumphantly rests in the harbor of Heart’s Content, Newfoundland. In the background, the picturesque fishing village and the rolling hills that surround Trinity Bay are a welcome sight, signaling the end of one journey for the crew after spending weeks laying the transatlantic cable along the North Atlantic seabed.
- A proud tradition continues with the 57th issue of the popular collectible. The proof dollar is a time-honored, numismatic tradition and has been among the Royal Canadian Mint’s best-selling coins every year since 1937.
Add this spectacular release to your cart today!