The year 2016 marks the 75th anniversary of the Siege of Tobruk, one of the first major battles of World War II. A small town on the Libyan coast, Tobruk became a key naval outpost due to its location on a sheltered, deep water harbor.
- Contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- Comes with a mint box and a certificate of authenticity.
- Strictly limited mintage of 5,000 coins.
- Obverse: Displays the Ian Rank-Broadley likeness of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the 2016 year-date and the monetary denomination.
- Reverse: Portrays two Australian troops in the trenches during the Siege of Tobruk. The design includes the inscriptions "75th anniversary OF WWII" and "THE RATS OF TOBRUK", and the Perth Mint’s "P" mintmark.
Expand your Perth Mint collection with this unique Silver coin. Add this 1 oz Silver 75th anniversary of WWII’s Rats of Tobruk Proof coin to your cart today!
The Siege of Tobruk took place between April and December 1941. Australian troops made up more than half of the Allied presence in Tobruk, with more than 14,000 men from the Australian 9th Division and the 18th Brigade of the Australian 7th Division, commanded by Lieutenant General Leslie Morshead.