In 1914, as Europe finally went to war, the call went out to enlist. The British Army, unlike many others, was made up exclusively of volunteers. 30,000 volunteers signed up each day, in response to Lord Kitchener’s famous recruitment drive.
- Contains .4706 oz actual Gold weight in Proof finish.
- Comes in high quality custom box with a certificate of authenticity from the Royal Mint.
- Limited presentation of 750 coins.
- Obverse: Shows the fifth definitive coinage portrait of Her Majesty The Queen by Royal Mint coin designer Jody Clark.
- Reverse: The design for this coin was created by the team at Uniform, a leading creative consultancy based in Liverpool. The project was led by Creative Director Tim Sharp, a graduate in Graphic Design from Derby University with more than 15 years experience working at award-winning design agencies. Tim is also a visiting lecturer on design courses at both Chester University and Liverpool John Moore’s University. His design communicates the power of community and the lengths people will go to defend it.
- Official legal tender backed by British government.
Add this strictly limited mintage collectible Proof Gold coin to your cart today!
Those who enlisted together were permitted to serve together in "Pals Battalions" with workmates, friends and neighbors, standing side by side to defend their communities. The debut of the Kitchener Army of volunteers turned into a massacre. As the British divisions advanced they were cut down by machine gun fire. Few communities remained untouched by the immense sacrifice paid as a result of this strategic failure.
One of the oldest institutions in the world, the Royal Mint began producing coins for England, and eventually Great Britain, more than 1,100 years ago. The mint also produces and exports coins for other countries, as well as military medals, and other products for the British government. The Royal Mint has been witness to the legendary kings and queens, political upheavals, social and governmental progress, and scientific and technological breakthroughs.
The minting of coins began in England around the end of the second century B.C. Around A.D. 650, coins were made by craftsmen called “moneyers” in London. In 886, during the reign of Alfred the Great, the London Mint was designated to be a single institution, though there were many other mints in operation around this time. In 1279 the London Mint was moved to the Tower of London where it remained for the next 500 years. Famed physicist Sir Isaac Newton was the Warden of the Mint in 1696 and as such was responsible for investigating cases of counterfeiting. Three years later he was made Master of the Mint, until his death in 1727, and was responsible for moving England from the Silver standard to the Gold standard in 1717.
The Royal Mint had outgrown its home in the Tower of London so during the 18th century the rickety wooden shacks the mint occupied were rebuilt to accommodate mechanized and rolling mills and coining presses and provide more space. Soon, however, the mint outgrew this new location and in 1809, the mint moved from the Tower of London to an adjacent site in East Smithfield called Tower Hill. By 1899, the Royal Mint was striking 100 million coins a year.
In 1967 it was announced that mint would move from its location at Tower Hill to Llantrisant, Wales, following Parliament’s decision to decimalize currency and in 1968 the first coins were officially struck by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II at the new location in Wales. In 1986, the Royal Mint celebrated 11 centuries of continuous minting. In 2009, the Royal Mint was vested into a government-owned company to provide greater operating and commercial freedom.
One unique aspect of the Royal Mint is a procedure known as the Trial of the Pyx, dates back to 1282 and ensures newly-minted coins meet required government standards. The trials have been held once a each year since their inception and have changed very little over time. These trials are presided over by a judge with a jury of expert assayers and were held at the Palace of Westminster before they were moved to the modern-day site at the Hall of the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths. The ceremony was so named after the boxwood chest in which coins were placed for presentation to the jury.