Only $169.99 per set!
This beautiful APMEXclusive® set contains two 2016 Silver Angel coins in both Proof and Reverse Proof finishes. The Pobjoy mint has partnered with APMEX to produce just 500 of these unique two-coin sets featuring its most iconic design.
- Each coin contains a total of 1 oz of .999 fine Silver for a total Silver weight of 2 oz.
- The 1 oz Silver Proof Angel coin is an APMEXclusive® that is only available in this set.
- The Reverse Proof Silver bullion was issued following the success of the Gold Bullion Angel.
- Comes housed in a wooden box. Includes a Certificate of Authenticity.
- Extremely limited mintage of 500 sets.
- Obverse: Displays the right-facing profile of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, along with the year.
- Reverse: Features the archangel Michael using his shield to block the dragon's flaming breath as he uses his spear to slay the dragon. Underneath the dragon's wings on the Reverse Proof is a "P" incuse privy mark indicating that this is the first Reverse Proof in production from the Pobjoy Mint.
- Sovereign coins backed by the Isle of Man government.
This breathtaking 2-coin Proof/Reverse Proof Silver Angel set is a popular choice because of its attractive design and limited availability. Add this 2016 2-coin Proof/Reverse Proof Silver Angel set to your cart today!
The Angel was a Gold coin originally introduced into England by Edward IV in 1465 as a new issue of the Noble. Based on a French coin, the Angelot or Ange, its name was derived from the representation of the Archangel St. Michael. A truly iconic coin the Angel, depicting an image of the Archangel Michael slaying the dragon, was thought to bring good luck and health and was traditionally given to sufferers of the disease the "King’s evil" or scrofula, in a medieval ceremony intending to cure them with the "royal touch".
This modern Angel, one of the World’s foremost bullion coins, continues to uphold this remarkable tradition by being the third design in the coin’s illustrious history since the first Angel was issued in 1984 by Pobjoy Mint.
The idea that countries, big or small, can and should have their own coinage is what pushed the Pobjoy Mint forward. Pobjoy approached the Isle of Man government to begin a program of collector coins with corresponding values and specifications as British coins. In 1972, the Pobjoy Mint created the first practical set of coins for the Isle of Man including a 1/2 penny and up to 50 pence coins. These coins included historical and cultural elements, such as the Isle of Man’s distinctive three-legged “Triskele” insignia.
Since then, the Pobjoy Mint has issued an array of innovative and artistic coins sought after by some of the choosiest collectors. One particular contribution to numismatics and coin production was the development of the world’s first satisfactory man-made Precious Metal, called Virenium, which has been used in high denomination coinage since 1978. This was hailed worldwide as the first significant breakthrough in coinage from the last century.
The Pobjoy Mint provides circulation and collector coinage for 12 countries and territories, and that number is ever increasing. Pobjoy Mint has been consistently recognized within the numismatic industry for their innovations, including 45 “firsts” such as the first Silver one kilo coin, the first coin in the shape of the Eiffel Tower, the first titanium coin and the world’s highest relief coin. The Pobjoy Mint has demonstrated their ability to push the limits of the coin industry to surprising achievements and new heights.