The first .9999 fine Gold coin ever produced by the U.S. Mint, the Gold Buffalo pays homage to the classic design of the 1913 Buffalo Nickel. Struck on specially-prepared planchets, these Proof coins bear a beautiful mirror finish and exquisite detail.
Now Sold Out at the U.S. Mint!
- Contains 1 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- Proof finish adds further beauty with an impressive shine.
- Coin comes in complete original packaging including an elegant presentation box and a certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: James Earle Fraser's classic portrait of a Native American in profile, as first seen on the Buffalo Nickel in 1913.
- Reverse: An American Buffalo, adapted from the original reverse of the classic Buffalo Nickel. This image is thought to be based on Black Diamond, a buffalo living in the Central Park Zoo in the early 20th century.
- Sovereign coin backed by the U.S. government.
Proof Gold Buffalos add a new beauty to this popular coin design. Add this Proof Gold Buffalo to your cart today!
The design of this Gold bullion coin is based on James Earle Fraser’s iconic and wildly popular 1913 Buffalo Nickel. The obverse of the coin depicts the profile of a Native American man who was modeled after three different chiefs from Native American tribes: Lakota chief Iron Tail, Cheyenne chief Two Moons and Seneca chief John Big Tree. The reverse of the coin features the classic buffalo designed after Black Diamond, a 1,550-pound bison that lived in New York City’s Central Park Zoo in the early 1900s.
American Gold Buffalos are struck at the West Point Mint in New York. Known as the “Fort Knox of Silver”, the West Point Mint produces all American Eagle coins in Gold, Silver and Platinum as well as all Gold and some Silver commemorative coins.