To celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Buffalo Nickel, a special Reverse Proof buffalo was produced by the U.S. Mint for 2013 only. This coin has been graded PF-69 and is attractively presented in NGC's black-core retro holder.
- Contains 1 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- NGC encapsulation guarantees and protects the coin's near-perfect PF-69 condition.
- Black-core retro holder offers unique visual appeal.
- Reverse proof finish features mirrored devices on a frosted field creating an attractive effect.
- Obverse: James Earle Fraser's classic portrait of an American Indian in profile, as first seen on the Buffalo Nickel in 1913.
- Reverse: An American Buffalo, adapted from the original reverse of the classic Buffalo Nickel. This image is thought to be based on Black Diamond, a buffalo living in the Central Park Zoo in the early 20th century.
- Sovereign coin backed by the U.S. government.
Protect and display your graded Gold Buffalo in style by adding an attractive presentation box to your order.
Buy America's premier Gold coin in a beautiful reverse proof finish from the West Point Mint. Begin your own collection of this iconic coin by adding it to your cart today!
The design of this Gold bullion coin is based on James Earle Fraser’s iconic and wildly popular 1913 Buffalo Nickel. The obverse of the coin depicts the profile of a Native American man who was modeled after three different chiefs from Native American tribes: Lakota chief Iron Tail, Cheyenne chief Two Moons and Seneca chief John Big Tree. The reverse of the coin features the classic buffalo designed after Black Diamond, a 1,550-pound bison that lived in New York City’s Central Park Zoo in the early 1900s.
American Gold Buffalos are struck at the West Point Mint in New York. Known as the “Fort Knox of Silver”, the West Point Mint produces all American Eagle coins in Gold, Silver and Platinum as well as all Gold and some Silver commemorative coins.