Scarce first Issue Fractional Currency. This is also called Postage Currency since the design utilizes the same portrait on a then-current 5 cent postage stamp featuring a likeness of Thomas Jefferson.
- Approved by the act of July 17, 1862.
- Uncut pair housed in an archival quality currency sleeve.
- Face: Bears an engraving of one of the contemporary issue of Five Cent postage stamps featuring a bust of Thomas Jefferson.
- Back: Black printing of the obligation at center surrounding a large numeral “5”, with an intricate engraving.
- This is the straight edge type with the ABC monogram on back—Friedberg #1230.
These were issued starting in 1862 to help alleviate the shortage of coins due to public hoarding caused by the Civil War. Add this First Issue Fractional Postage Currency of 5 Cents to your cart today!