This stunning Isle of Man Silver Angel has been graded PR-70 by PCGS and is issued as a First Strike! The beautiful coin features a reverse proof finish with an iconic design.
- Contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- The Reverse Proof Silver bullion was issued following the success of the Gold Bullion Angel.
- Graded and guaranteed by PCGS as being in PR-70 condition. Also has a First Strike designation guaranteeing that it was received within the first 30 days of its release.
- Population of 27* coins at this grade per PCGS.
- Obverse: Depicts the right-facing profile of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and the year all separated by 3 triskelions.
- Reverse: Features the archangel Michael using his shield to block the dragon's flaming breath as he uses his spear to slay the dragon.
- Underneath the dragon's wings is a "P" incuse privy mark indicating that this is the first Reverse Proof in production from the Pobjoy Mint.
- Sovereign coin backed by Isle of Man government.
Protect and display your Silver Angel Reverse Proof coin in style by adding an attractive display or gift box to your order.
This exclusive coin would be a great addition to any coin collection. Add this beautiful 2016 Isle of Man 1 oz Silver Angel Reverse Proof PR-70 coin to your cart today!
* Population report as of June 10, 2016.
The Angel was a Gold coin originally introduced into England by Edward IV in 1465 as a new issue of the Noble. Based on a French coin, the Angelot or Ange, its name was derived from the representation of the Archangel St. Michael. A truly iconic coin the Angel, depicting an image of the Archangel Michael slaying the dragon, was thought to bring good luck and health and was traditionally given to sufferers of the disease the "King’s evil" or scrofula, in a medieval ceremony intending to cure them with the "royal touch".
This modern Angel, one of the World’s foremost bullion coins, continues to uphold this remarkable tradition by being the third design in the coin’s illustrious history since the first Angel was issued in 1984 by Pobjoy Mint.
Each coin is produced to the highest quality and has been struck four times to produce a stunning frosted-finish background with the design sculpted in striking relief. A truly special design in reverse proof with a limited mintage that makes it a rare and valuable collector’s coin.
The idea that countries, big or small, can and should have their own coinage is what pushed the Pobjoy Mint forward. Pobjoy approached the Isle of Man government to begin a program of collector coins with corresponding values and specifications as British coins. In 1972, the Pobjoy Mint created the first practical set of coins for the Isle of Man including a 1/2 penny and up to 50 pence coins. These coins included historical and cultural elements, such as the Isle of Man’s distinctive three-legged “Triskele” insignia.
Since then, the Pobjoy Mint has issued an array of innovative and artistic coins sought after by some of the choosiest collectors. One particular contribution to numismatics and coin production was the development of the world’s first satisfactory man-made Precious Metal, called Virenium, which has been used in high denomination coinage since 1978. This was hailed worldwide as the first significant breakthrough in coinage from the last century.
The Pobjoy Mint provides circulation and collector coinage for 12 countries and territories, and that number is ever increasing. Pobjoy Mint has been consistently recognized within the numismatic industry for their innovations, including 45 “firsts” such as the first Silver one kilo coin, the first coin in the shape of the Eiffel Tower, the first titanium coin and the world’s highest relief coin. The Pobjoy Mint has demonstrated their ability to push the limits of the coin industry to surprising achievements and new heights.