Buy Gold Coins from APMEX
Gold coins are a well-loved option among gold investors, both beginner and experienced alike. These bullion coins boast intricate designs influenced by artwork from different cultures and are frequently issued by sovereign mints, enjoying the backing of central governments.
At APMEX, we offer a diverse range of gold coins for sale. Our website makes the process of purchasing gold effortless, allowing you to search for your desired coin based on series or mint. The value of gold coins varies in accordance with the gold spot price, and we cater to a wide range of budgets. Whether you're a seasoned investor or just starting out, we have the gold bullion coins to suit your needs, sourced from esteemed mints across the world.
U.S. Gold Coins
APMEX is privileged to be a certified purchasing agent of the U.S. Mint, allowing us to secure bullion coins directly from the source and offer them to our clients.
The U.S. Mint is the sole mint in the country and holds the title of the United States' official covering mint. It has a rich history of producing American gold coins, starting with circulating gold currency and gold bullion coins in 1794.
From 1838 to 1933, the U.S. Mint manufactured .900 fine gold coins, which are highly coveted by collectors today. In 1986, the production of gold bullion coins was resumed with the launch of the American Gold Eagle. These U.S. gold coins have become a staple in portfolios and personal collections alike.
APMEX offers a vast range of American gold coins for sale, ensuring that there's something for everyone.
Australian Gold Coins
APMEX offers fine Gold coins from Australia, including offerings from The Perth Mint and the Royal Australian Mint. The Perth Mint, established in 1899, is Australia's oldest operating Precious Metals manufacturer, owned by the Government of Western Australia through the Gold Corporation. On the other hand, the Royal Australian Mint was established after the 1965 Currency Act.
Our selection of Australian Gold coins includes:
- Perth Mint Gold Lunar Coins: Launched by The Perth Mint in 1996, the Gold Lunar Series showcases different animals from the Chinese zodiac, ending with the year of the Pig in 2007. The series was re-launched in 2008 and will conclude in 2019, made from .9999 fine Gold. These coins are both a great investment opportunity and a collector's item, as they are also legal tender in Australia.
- Perth Mint Gold Kangaroo Coins: The Kangaroo Gold coins were introduced in 1987 by the Western Australian Government-owned Gold Corp. As legal tender in Australia, these coins are popular among collectors and investors worldwide. The obverse features a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II, while the reverse has changed over the years, initially featuring an Australian Gold nugget and later, the iconic symbol of Australia, the kangaroo.
- The Gold Swan Coins: In 2017, The Perth Mint introduced its first gold bullion coin with a limited mintage of 5,000 pieces, each made of .9999 fine gold. The coins in the series feature a variety of stunning swan designs and are available in different finishes, including Brilliant Uncirculated and Proof. Each coin contains 1 oz of gold and showcases one of the world's most unique and distinctive species.
- The Gold Koala Coins: The cute and cuddly koala has been the focus of The Perth Mint's gold coin series since 2008. These beautiful coins, made of .9999 fine Australian gold, are available in various sizes, making them suitable for both investors and collectors. The obverse of each coin displays a likeness of Queen Elizabeth II, while the reverse features a new design each year that centers around the koala.
- The Domed Gold Coins: These unique coins have a convex shape that enhances the engraved detail on the surface. They feature various themes, including the historic Apollo 11 moon landing, the age of exploration, and the night sky.
Austrian Gold Coins
The Austrian Mint, also known as Munze Österreich, has gained a reputation for its expertise in coin production and Precious Metals processing with over 800 years of experience. As a subsidiary of the Austrian Central Bank, the Austrian Mint primarily produces all of Austria's circulating euro coinage, but also offers a wide range of collector coins and medals and is recognized for its high-quality bullion coins.
APMEX offers products from the Austrian Mint to its customers. One of its most popular offerings is the Austrian Gold Philharmonic Coin. First minted in 1989, the Gold Philharmonic was created to honor the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, a renowned musical ensemble. In 1992, 1995, and 1996, it was the best-selling Gold coin in the world, as reported by the World Gold Council. The obverse of the coin features an illustration of the Great Organ in the Golden Hall of the Musikverein concert hall in Vienna.
British Gold Coins
The Royal Mint, established in 1886, is a leading coin manufacturer for the United Kingdom and other countries. In addition to circulating coinage, it also creates commemorative items.
- British Gold Britannia Coins: The Royal Mint introduced these coins in 1987. They come in 1, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/10 oz sizes, each with a face value of £100, £50, £25, and £10, respectively. They have a fineness of .9167 Gold, are legal tender in Great Britain, and have a yellow color due to their Silver alloy. In 2013, their fineness increased to .9999 fine. Consider also collecting the Silver Britannia, which has a fineness of .999 fine after 2013.
- British Gold Queen's Beasts Coins: This series by The Royal Mint showcases the history of the British Monarchy through the depiction of each animal in The Queen's Beasts collection. These coins are made of .9999 fine Gold, available in sizes from 1/4 oz to 5 oz, and were first minted in 2016.
- British Gold Commemorative Coins: Britain boasts a rich history of crafting beautifully designed Gold coins, and their classic designs continue to endure.
Canadian Gold Coins
The Royal Canadian Mint was established in Ottawa on January 2, 1908 with the striking of the Dominion's first domestically produced coin, a fifty-cent piece. The heritage building, the surrounding land, and the entire minting operation were transferred to Canadian hands in 1931, making it a wholly Canadian institution. The creation of the Royal Canadian Mint coincided with the era of booming gold production in the Yukon and British Columbia, leading to the need for a refinery to refine the rough gold to coinage standards. The original refinery was completed in 1911 and produced gold bars for the British Empire during the Great War.
In 1936, a new refinery was built to meet the demand for years to come, and it has been refining gold for mines and central banks worldwide ever since. In 1969, the refinery started producing .9999 fine gold bars, and in 1982, it became the first in the world to manufacture .9999 fine gold bullion coins. The Royal Canadian Mint further excelled in 1999 by being the first to achieve .99999 fine gold purity.
The Royal Canadian Mint is renowned for producing high-quality circulating, numismatic, and bullion coins, and it is known for its innovation, having introduced several firsts, such as the first colored coin, hologram coin, irregular-shaped (square) coin, and million-dollar face value coin ever minted.
APMEX carries popular Canadian Gold coins, including:
Canadian Gold Maple Leaf: The Canadian Gold Maple Leaf coins, first minted by the Royal Canadian Mint in 1979, are highly sought after by bullion collectors and investors. These coins are available in various sizes, including 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/10 oz, 1/20 oz and 1 gram, and are legal tender in Canada, with a weight and purity guarantee from the government. The Maple Leaf coins are renowned for their exceptional purity, reaching up to .99999 fine Gold, as well as their beautiful design.
In addition to the Canadian Gold Maple Leaf, the 1 oz Canadian Silver Maple Leaf is also a popular bullion option for investors who diversify into other metals.
- Canadian .99999 Gold Coins: The Royal Canadian Mint has also made a name for itself in the world of bullion by producing several commemorative coins with .99999 fine Gold, the purest Gold coins ever minted. This includes the Canadian Gold Maple Leaf, the Canadian Mountie Gold Coin, and the Howling Wolf Gold Coin.
Chinese Gold Coins
The Chinese Gold Pandas, which have been produced by the People's Republic of China since 1982, are made of .999 fine Gold. To better cater to the global market, the Chinese government started minting these coins in metric sizes in 2016. This change resulted in the following size conversions:
- 30 grams replaced 1 oz
- 15 grams replaced 1/2 oz
- 8 grams replaced 1/4 oz
- 3 grams replaced 1/10 oz
- 1 gram replaced 1/20 oz
Before 2016, Chinese Gold Pandas were typically available in troy ounce sizes, including 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/10 oz, and 1/20 oz. However, these coins are also offered in larger sizes such as 5 oz, 12 oz and 1 kilogram. The Chinese Gold Panda bullion coins are produced at several mints across the country, including Beijing, Shenzhen, Shanghai, and Shenyang.
Mexican Gold Coins
Known for their beauty, Mexican Gold coins are minted in Mexico City by the Mexican Mint and contain 90% fine Gold and 10% Copper. The addition of copper provides the coins with a density that pure gold cannot achieve. The Mexican Mint offers a range of gold coins, including gold pesos and Libertad Gold coins.
- Mexican Gold Libertad Coins: Struck by the oldest North American mint, La Casa de Moneda de Mexico, the Mexican Libertad Gold coin is a sought-after and beautifully designed bullion coin. Made of .999 fine Gold, it resembles the design of the famous 50 Peso Centenario and its stunning artwork is both visually striking and historically significant to Mexico. Its unique design and limited mintage make it a valuable addition to any coin collection.
Somalian Gold Coins
The Somalia African Elephant Gold coin, minted by the Bavarian State Mint in Munich, is well-known globally for its annually changing reverse design, featuring a new depiction of the magnificent African Elephant each year. The coin is made from .9999 fine Gold and comes in a 1 oz size with a face value of 1000 Shillings, however, its real value lies in its intrinsic value. New Gold investors can also purchase this coin in smaller fractional sizes.
South African Gold Coins – The Krugerrands
The Gold Krugerrand is the world's first gold bullion coin and remains a favorite among investors outside the United States. Known for its distinctive hue and depiction of a springbok antelope, it is recognized for its simple design that has been in use since 1967. Despite its lack of detail compared to other gold coin reliefs, it has proven its staying power as an investment item.
With a composition of .9167 fine gold and 8.33% copper alloy, the Krugerrand boasts both gold's value and durability. Its affordability among gold coins makes it a recommended investment option for both new and experienced buyers. These coins are highly liquid in global markets, making it easy to buy or sell as needed. Browse our full selection of South African gold coins to add the Gold Krugerrand to your investment portfolio today.
South Korean Gold Coins
Korea Minting and Security Printing & ID Card Operating Corporation, commonly referred to as KOMSCO, is the exclusive currency producer for the Republic of South Korea. In addition to producing renowned Gold bullion coins such as the Chiwoo Cheonwang, South Korean Tiger, and ZI:SIN, KOMSCO is also responsible for the creation of all South Korean coins and currency.
- Chiwoo Cheonwang Gold Series: The exciting Chiwoo Cheonwang Gold series from South Korea is the country's first-ever Gold bullion series, and it also signifies the introduction of a new monetary unit for South Korea called "CLAY." The official South Korean mint, KOMSCO, produces Chiwoo medals with limited mintages, enhancing their appeal as collectible items.
- ZI:SIN Series: The term "ZI:SIN" stands for "Twelve Guardians," who are said to be the commanders of god's army and were tasked with protecting mankind from threats in all twelve directions - north, south, east, and west. As per Korean folklore, each guardian has their unique set of powers that help them conquer evil and protect the earth. The ZI:SIN series will showcase 12 designs, one for each guardian, and follow the lunar calendar cycle.
Monnaie de Paris Commemorative Gold Coins
The Monnaie de Paris, also known as the Paris Mint, is a French government agency responsible for the production of coins, medals, and other similar items. It was established in 864, making it one of the oldest institutions in France. The Paris Mint is renowned for its exceptional craftsmanship and attention to detail, which is evident in its wide range of gold coins. These coins celebrate a variety of themes including artists, landmarks, historical figures, and more. The mint's products are highly sought after by collectors and investors alike, as they are known for their beauty and historical significance. With its rich history and reputation for quality, the Monnaie de Paris continues to be a leading producer of gold bullion coins and other numismatic items.
Ancient & Medieval Gold Coins
Gold coins have been used as currency for thousands of years, dating back to the reign of King Croesus of Lydia in the 6th century BC. Since then, Gold coins have been struck by various civilizations and dynasties, each with their own unique design and symbolism. These coins offer not only financial value, but also provide a glimpse into the history and culture of their time.
Ancient Gold coins often vary in shape and weight, due to the limitations of striking and engraving technologies. Nevertheless, they are highly prized by collectors for their rarity and historical significance. Our collection of Ancient & Medieval Gold coins includes pieces from the Byzantine Empire, the Roman Empire, Ancient Greece, and the Middle Ages. These coins offer a glimpse into the world's rich history and are sure to make a valuable addition to any collection.
Browse numismatic gold coins from ancient history:
APMEX: Your Online Destination for Gold Coins
APMEX offers a wide range of options for purchasing Gold coins online. If you require any assistance or face any issues during the buying process, the customer service team is available to help. They can be reached by email or phone (800-375-9006) and will be happy to answer any questions you have about purchasing Gold coins and assist you in finding the perfect coin for your needs. Additionally, APMEX also provides the option to sell Gold online, which is a safer, more secure process than in-person transactions. Simply call the purchasing team at (800) 514-6318 to speak with a representative and learn more about the process.
Our Commitment to Customer Satisfaction
For the past 20 years, APMEX has been committed to providing customers with a seamless and trustworthy shopping experience. The company values customer feedback and takes each review into consideration to continuously improve their offerings and services. To see what customers have to say about APMEX and their range of products, including Gold coins, read our online reviews
from thousands of satisfied customers. We welcome and encourage feedback as it helps us continuously improve the Precious Metals experience.