Buy American Silver Eagles OnlineFirst released in 1986, the American Silver Eagle is the United States' official Silver bullion coin. The Silver Eagle only comes in one size, which is 1 oz of .999 fine Silver. It has a face value of $1 and is backed by the U.S. government. The Silver Eagle has been produced at three mints: the Philadelphia Mint, the San Francisco Mint and the West Point Mint. The U.S. Mint does not add mint marks to bullion Silver Eagles. Mint of origin is only identifiable by the sealed monster boxes the coins ship in, either via distinguishing straps or the serial number assigned to each box. Silver Eagles are also IRA-eligible, as they meet the fineness requirements as defined by the IRS. In addition to the bullion version, the United States Mint has produced Proof versions and uncirculated versions for collectors.
American Silver Eagle DesignsThe original Silver Eagle design features classic artwork by Adolph A. Weinman and John Mercanti. The obverse depicts the Walking Liberty design, originally used on the Walking Liberty Half Dollar from 1916 to 1947. The original reverse portrays a heraldic eagle behind a shield; the eagle grasps an olive branch in its right talon and arrows in its left talon, echoing the Great Seal of the United States; above the eagle are thirteen five-pointed stars representing the thirteen colonies.
In 2020, the United States Mint unveiled the new reverse designs for the 2021 American Eagle Silver coins. 2021 marks the 35th Anniversary of the American Eagle Coin program, and the new designs will begin appearing on these coins in mid-year 2021. AIP Designer Emily Damstra created the new Silver design, which was sculpted by Mint Medallic Artist Michael Gaudioso. The new design depicts a single eagle coming in for a landing, carrying an oak branch as if to add it to a nest.
MintDirect® Silver Eagles with PCGS FirstStrike®APMEX has partnered with PCGS, one of the most trusted names in numismatics, to further enhance the MintDirect® Premier program. This partnership with PCGS allows MintDirect® Premier with PCGS FirstStrike® Silver Eagles in their sealed packaging to remain eligible for the FirstStrike® designation if submitted to PCGS for grading long after new FirstStrike®-eligible coins are typically off the market.
The Assurance of MintDirect® Silver EaglesThe MintDirect® process guarantees that the coins you receive are untouched since leaving the U.S. Mint. Silver Eagles have been in high demand since they were first introduced in 1986. MintDirect® Eagles are available in singles, tubes, Mini Monster Boxes and Monster Boxes.
1 oz Silver Eagle Mintage FiguresAmerican Silver Eagle bullion coins are struck according to public demand, meaning this demand determines the mintages for each year. Some years when demand and corresponding mintages were lower, collectible value can exist for the coins beyond their Precious Metal value. The following are mintages for 1 oz Silver:
- 1986 1 oz Silver Eagles - 5,393,005
- 1987 1 oz Silver Eagles - 11,442,335
- 1988 1 oz Silver Eagles - 5,004,646
- 1989 1 oz Silver Eagles - 5,203,327
- 1990 1 oz Silver Eagles - 5,840,110
- 1991 1 oz Silver Eagles - 7,191,066
- 1992 1 oz Silver Eagles - 5,540,068
- 1993 1 oz Silver Eagles - 6,763,762
- 1994 1 oz Silver Eagles - 4,227,319
- 1995 1 oz Silver Eagles - 4,672,051
- 1996 1 oz Silver Eagles - 3,603,386
- 1997 1 oz Silver Eagles - 4,295,004
- 1998 1 oz Silver Eagles - 4,847,549
- 1999 1 oz Silver Eagles - 7,408,640
- 2000 1 oz Silver Eagles - 9,239,132
- 2001 1 oz Silver Eagles - 9,001,711
- 2002 1 oz Silver Eagles - 10,539,026
- 2003 1 oz Silver Eagles - 8,495,008
- 2004 1 oz Silver Eagles - 8,882,754
- 2005 1 oz Silver Eagles - 8,891,025
- 2006 1 oz Silver Eagles - 10,676,522
- 2007 1 oz Silver Eagles - 9,028,036
- 2008 1 oz Silver Eagles - 20,583,000
- 2009 1 oz Silver Eagles - 30,459,000
- 2010 1 oz Silver Eagles - 34,764,500
- 2011 1 oz Silver Eagles - 40,020,000
- 2012 1 oz Silver Eagles - 33,121,500
- 2013 1 oz Silver Eagles - 42,675,000
- 2014 1 oz Silver Eagles - 44,006,000
- 2015 1 oz Silver Eagles - 47,000,000
- 2016 1 oz Silver Eagles - 37,701,500
- 2017 1 oz Silver Eagles - 18,065,500
- 2018 1 oz Silver Eagles - 15,700,000
- 2019 1 oz Silver Eagles - 14,863,500
- 2020 1 oz Silver Eagles - 30,089,500