2016 2-Coin Silver 1 oz Britannia Proof/Reverse Proof Set #7
Rollover to Zoom
Your purchase will match the quality of the product shown. It will not be this exact item. Coins will not have toning unless otherwise noted.
Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
Product DetailsTake advantage of this limited opportunity to own Set #7 of this beautiful APMEXclusive® set containing two 2016 Silver Britannia coins in both Proof and Reverse Proof finishes.
- This set is numbered "#7" from The Royal Mint.
- Features a stunning APMEXclusive® 1 oz Silver Reverse Proof Britannia - a first time ever striking by the Royal Mint. Only 500 total coins produced worldwide!
- Each coin contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver for a total Silver weight of 2 oz.
- The 1 oz Silver Reverse Proof Britannia coin is an APMEXclusive® only available in this set.
- This is the first Proof/Reverse Proof Britannia set issued from The Royal Mint.
- Extremely limited mintage of 500 sets.
- Attractively housed in a beautiful black display case that features both The Royal Mint and APMEX logos. Includes a certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: Displays the 5th effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, along with the face value of 2 pounds.
- Reverse: Depicts the iconic Britannia holding a shield and trident as she gazes over the sea, a watchful lion by her side.
- Sovereign coins backed by the British government.
This breathtaking 2-coin Proof/Reverse Proof Silver Britannia set is a popular choice not only because of its attractive design, but also its mintage at The Royal Mint. Add this 2016 2-coin Proof/Reverse Proof Silver Britannia set to your cart today!
Britannia, the female personification of the British Isles, takes her name from an ancient term for Great Britain and has been a popular figure since the 1st century, when she was first depicted on Roman coinage under the rule of Emperor Hadrian. Illustrated as a goddess, Britannia resembles the Roman figure Boudica. Britannia first appeared on British coins in 1672, when she graced the farthing. She was a firm fixture on coins from this point onwards, appearing on pennies issued under every monarch from 1797 until decimalization, when she was chosen to appear on the 50 pence coin until 2008.
Over the years, the image of Britannia has altered slightly, with her maritime links being emphasized by switching her spear to a trident. Britannia is seen as a symbol of British unity, liberty and strength, meaning she resurfaces during particularly challenging times. Like Columbia in the U.S. and Marianne in France, Britannia becomes more prominent in times of war or when national pride is booming.
In 1987, Britannia’s image graced the new Gold bullion coin minted by the Royal Mint known as the Gold Britannia. These Gold coins have since grown in popularity as an investment and a collector’s piece. Gold Britannias are available in sizes as small as 1/20 oz and as large as 5 oz Gold coins. In 1997, the Royal Mint expanded this design to a Silver bullion coin known as the Silver Britannia. Over time, both the Gold Britannia and Silver Britannia have experienced changes in design and an increase in metal purity, making them major players in the modern coin market.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.