This 8th and final issue of our Perth Mint exclusive series “Famous Fantasy Ships” is dedicated to the fantastic novel “The War of the Worlds”.
- Contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver in Proof finish.
- Comes in a high quality custom wooden box with a certificate of authenticity.
- Limited mintage of 3,000 coins.
- Reverse: Features a representation of the HMS Thunder Child.
- Obverse: Displays the Ian Rank-Broadley effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the monetary denomination, the coin’s weight and fineness, and the year-date.
- Sovereign coin backed by Tuvalu government.
This exceptional Proof coin would be a great addition to any coin collection. Add this beautiful 1 oz Silver War of the Worlds coin to your cart today!
In the novel Wells gives only a rough description of the ship, describing her thus: “About a couple of miles out lay an ironclad, very low in the water, almost, to my brother's perception, like a water-logged ship. This was the ram Thunder Child.” A few paragraphs later, it is said that "It was the torpedo ram, Thunder Child, steaming headlong, coming to the rescue of the threatened shipping".
In Jeff Wayne's musical adaptation, the ship is described as an ironclad but not specifically a ram or a torpedo ram. The album cover art illustration of Thunder Child is of a pre-dreadnought battleship such as the Canopus-class in combat with a Martian tripod. The ship is also depicted in art in the Classics Illustrated comic book adaptation of the novel, also appearing as a typical pre-dreadnought battleship of the era. The real torpedo ram Polyphemus was fast, heavily armored for her size, and capable of operating in shallow coastal waters. Her hull was low in the water with a raft-like superstructure mounting six 1-inch Nordenfelt guns, again very much unlike a pre-dreadnought battleship.