Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Sell Gold to Us
The Sovereign 2017 Five-Coin Gold Proof Set contains a Quarter-Sovereign, a Half-Sovereign, a Sovereign, a Double-Sovereign and the impressive Five-Sovereign piece, the largest coin in the Sovereign family with five times the Gold of a single Sovereign.
- Contains a total of 2.059 oz of Gold.
- Comes in a custom wood box with a certificate of authenticity.
- Limited edition presentation mintage of only 750 sets.
- Celebrates the 200th anniversary of The Sovereign's revival in 1817.
- Obverse: Includes an effigy of Her Majesty Elizabeth II as well as the date. This marks for first time the date has appeared on the obverse since 1887.
- Reverse: Features St. George and the dragon by Benedetto Pistrucci, an image that has endured for almost 200 years. The original inscription created for The Sovereign when it was revived in 1817 is included on this anniversary edition. The Latin "HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE", meaning "Evil unto him that thinks evil of it".
The Sovereign continues to be recognized as a Gold coin of beauty, quality and value, and is considered by many as the flagship coin of The Royal Mint. Add this 2017 Gold British Sovereign 5-Coin Set to your cart today!
In 2017 we celebrate the 200th anniversary of the ‘modern’ Sovereign; a coin with a rich history, world-renowned for its quality and iconic design. Its story may be more than five centuries old but 200 years ago the Gold coin set new standards for accuracy that defined a currency.
Now, 200 years later, we return to Pistrucci’s original ‘garter’ design for this important anniversary. The Sovereign 2017 Proof range features the design struck with tools that were carefully remastered from the 1817 originals. The design created by Pistrucci for The Sovereign of 1817 reflects the inscription which appears on the Order of the Garter. The garter is represented, with a buckle, on the outer edge. The design is a typical contemporary depiction of the Order of the Garter Badge, often produced as a carved gem; Pistrucci's particular specialism.
Benedetto Pistrucci’s St George and the dragon design has become synonymous with The Sovereign. He created an interpretation that defied the medieval image of St George, instead opting for a Greek interpretation, bare and muscular, not weighed down with the usual chain mail and armor. The original inscription created for The Sovereign when it was revived in 1817 has been revisited for this celebratory, anniversary edition of The Sovereign for 2017. The Latin ‘HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE’, meaning ‘Evil unto him that thinks evil of it’, is a phrase that has featured on the coat of the Royal Arms of the United Kingdom for centuries.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.