Each of these patriotic coins features a beautifully detailed image of the Statue of Liberty, which is the perfect subject for the U.S. Mint's only investment-grade Platinum coin. Semi-key date with a mintage of only 6,602 coins.
- Contains 1 oz of .9995 fine Platinum.
- Each coin is packaged in a mint-issued box and includes the certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: The strong face of the statue below the word "Liberty," with the year and "In God We Trust" to the side. "E Pluribus Unum" is engraved along Liberty's raised arm.
- Reverse: An American bald eagle perched on a heraldic shield with symbols representing America’s strength and beauty. The weight, purity, face value and West Point Mint's "W" mintmark are also shown.
- Sovereign coin backed by the U.S. government.
Platinum American Eagles are treasured for their iconic design and high Platinum content. Add this 2005-W 1 oz Proof Platinum Eagle to your cart today!
The only investment-grade Platinum coin produced by the United States Mint, the American Platinum Eagle was finally released in 1997. It is the official Platinum bullion coin of the United States and is the only coin the mint backs for weight, content and .9995 fine metal purity. The coin is available in sizes of 1/10 troy oz, 1/4 troy oz, 1/2 troy oz, and 1 troy oz.
The obverse of the standard bullion coin features the Statue of Liberty, while the reverse boasts a bald eagle soaring through the sky with the sun behind it. However, on the 1 oz Proof Platinum Eagles, the reverse changes annually. From 1997 through 2002, the various designs on these coins were part of the “Vistas of Liberty” program. In this series, a bald eagle was depicted flying over a different region throughout the United States. From 2006 to 2008, a three-year design series called “The Foundations of Democracy” represented the three branches of government. In 2009, a six-year series was introduced to honor the Preamble to the Constitution. A special two-year series began in 2015 featuring modern representations of Lady Liberty.