Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Sell Silver to Us
- Contains 1.682 oz of Silver.
- Comes in a box and includes a certificate of authenticity.
- Maximum coin mintage of only 3,000 proofs.
- Obverse: Features the fifth definitive portrait of Queen Elizabeth II, designed by Jody Clark.
- Reverse: Portrays King Canute with a strong, clean design. Includes a particular crown that Canute is seen wearing in medieval manuscripts.
- Guaranteed by The Royal Mint.
Celebrate this historic date and add this 2017 Great Britain £5 Silver Coronation of King Canute Piedfort coin to your cart today!
Long before the Norman Invasion of 1066, Canute the Great crossed the North Sea and seized the throne of England. He was a Viking warrior, son of King Swein "Forkbeard" of Denmark, and after a campaign of battles lasting a year, is understood to have been crowned in London, probably in St. Paul's Cathedral, in 1017. Capturing the English throne was the beginning of a period of conquest and, before the end of his reign, his empire stretched from England to Denmark, Norway and included part of Sweden.
Today Canute is best known for the story on which he sat on his throne at the water's edge and commanded the tide to turn back. The story shows Canute, unable to halt the approach of the sea, as a humble king, proving to his flattering courtiers that he was only human.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.