Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Sell Gold to Us
Celebrate the 1,000th Anniversary of the Coronation of King Canute with The Royal Mint! Inspired by the original currency of King Canute, this coin marks the first time The Royal Mint has celebrated a 1,000th anniversary on a UK coin.
- Contains 1.177 oz of Gold.
- Comes in a box and includes a certificate of authenticity.
- Maximum coin mintage of only 284 proofs.
- Obverse: Features the fifth definitive portrait of Queen Elizabeth II, designed by Jody Clark.
- Reverse: Portrays King Canute with a strong, clean design. Includes a particular crown that Canute is seen wearing in medieval manuscripts.
- Guaranteed by The Royal Mint.
Celebrate this historic date and add this 2017 Great Britain £5 Proof Gold Coronation of King Canute coin to your cart today!
Long before the Norman Invasion of 1066, Canute the Great crossed the North Sea and seized the throne of England. He was a Viking warrior, son of King Swein "Forkbeard" of Denmark, and after a campaign of battles lasting a year, is understood to have been crowned in London, probably in St. Paul's Cathedral, in 1017. Capturing the English throne was the beginning of a period of conquest and, before the end of his reign, his empire stretched from England to Denmark, Norway and included part of Sweden.
Today Canute is best known for the story on which he sat on his throne at the water's edge and commanded the tide to turn back. The story shows Canute, unable to halt the approach of the sea, as a humble king, proving to his flattering courtiers that he was only human.
100% of reviewers recommend this product
Date:Apr 14, 2017
The quality of this coin is more than expected(excellent),because its price was not expensive.I decided to send this coin to a grading company.The blod design is also very good.
- Value (low premium over spot)
- Attractive Design
- Collectible (lower mintage)
- Mint Condition
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.