Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Sell to Us
- Features a red seal and blue serial numbers.
- Housed in an archival quality currency sleeve.
- The notes in this listing are in Fine Details condition, with stains that are typical to this issue. It also has a split back.
- Face: Features a portrait of Andrew Jackson at left with the obligation at center.
- Back: Blank Back. Split back with the cancellation on the back.
- Series 1900 Large Size Gold Certificates have quite a history, and it is believed that less than 1,000 still exist today.
This series is from an era in U.S. currency when our paper money was backed by Gold! Always sought after by collectors, add one of these classics to your cart today!
Teehee/Burke signatures—Friedberg #1225H.
The history of this note stems from a fire at the then "new" Washington, D.C. Post Office that occurred on December 13, 1935. During the fire, many government records were tossed out of the windows of the building and into the street below to keep them from being destroyed, and among these records were several hundred canceled $10,000 Gold certificates. Many onlookers picked the notes up and took them home. This is the accepted explanation behind why many are found with moisture stains and a few with charring.
After being illegal to own for many years, collectors began to embrace these notes as great pieces of history in recent years. The earlier series of this note that were issued are extremely rare, and very valuable. This note is the only one available of this design type.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.