Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Sell Gold to Us
- Contains 1/4 oz of .999 fine Gold.
- Comes in a box and with a certificate of authenticity from the Monnaie de Paris.
- Mintage of just 500 coins.
- Obverse: Features the Spirit of St. Louis flying over Paris with the Statue of Liberty in the background. The flight took place on May 20, 1927.
- Reverse: Depicts a design common to the series and illustrates the profiles of two pilots. The pilots symbolize different eras and types of use (civil and military). The aircraft in the air also represent different uses and eras in a tribute to the history of aviation.
- Certified by the Monnaie de Paris.
This Gold coin would be a great addition to any collection or an ideal gift for a loved one. Add this 2017 1/4 oz Proof Gold €50 Aviation & History Spirit of St. Louis coin to your cart today!
The execution of the Spirit of Saint-Louis project was given to the Ryan Aeronautical Company in 1926. The design office committed to supply a prototype for 6,000 dollars. It would have a larger wingspan, a longer fuselage, a single-seater fitting and a 135 litter tank in addition to the wing tanks. In order to reduce the weight of the plane, it was only equipped with what was really needed. There was no radio, parachute, or sextant, but there was a small raft. A sliding periscope was installed as the tank blocked the pilot's view.
On May 20, 1927, Charles Lindberg chose to take off in spite of the weather and the muddy ground. Overloaded, the plane took off from New York at 7:52 am after having dove over 1,200 meters. Gradually, the Spirit of Saint Louis climbs out and Charles Lindberg has to face the first issue: a haunting need to sleep and frost that started to form at 3,000 meters. At 5:30 pm, Lindberg identifies the Dingle Bay in Ireland, and after having flew the extreme southwest of the United Kingdom, he flew over Cherbourg at 8 pm. He landed on Saturday, May 21st at 10:21 pm at the Bourget airport near Paris after 33 hours and 30 minutes and a distance of 5,850 km.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.