2017 Canada 2-Coin Silver Anniversary of the Loonie Set
Rollover to Zoom
Your purchase will match the quality of the product shown.
- Product Details
Canada’s “loonie” turns 30! Two pieces of Canadian coin history are yours to own in this special two-coin set that revisits the 1987 debut of Canada’s $1 circulation coin.
This special edition of the “loonie” is paired with the Voyageur design that was intended to appear on the one-dollar coin. It’s a unique opportunity to view what is next to what could have been, the coin that never was!
- Each coin contains .25 oz of .9999 fine Silver.
- Coins come in a maroon clamshell with black beauty box.
- Obverse: Displays the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
- Reverse: One coin features the now-classic “loonie” design that graces the reverse of Canada’s $1 circulation coin. The second coin re-creates the coin’s intended one-dollar design for the 1987 coin, it’s how Canada’s $1 coin would have appeared, had the dies not vanished.
- With a limited mintage and a history of selling quickly, this fractional set is sure to be sought-after by collectors eager to add this set to their growing collection.
Add this 2-Coin 30th Anniversary of the Loonie Set to your cart today!
The first coin features the design by Canadian artist Robert-Ralph Carmichael that has become synonymous with Canada’s currency: the iconic side-profile portrait of a common loon on a still lake, where it floats past the Group of Seven-esque trees rising up on a small island behind it. The entire scene is representative of the lakes that dot the Canadian Shield across much of the nation.
The second coin represents the one-dollar circulation coin that never was. Much as it appeared on Canada’s Silver dollar between 1935 and 1986, the “Voyageur” design by sculptor and artist Emanuel Hahn is a nod to Canada’s early history and the fur trade era. A canoe moves swiftly past the wind-swept pines that dot a semi-circular island. A voyageur paddles at the stern, while an
Aboriginal paddles at the bow; between them lies a bundle of wrapped furs, while stylized vertical rays above represent the Aurora borealis.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.