Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Sell Gold to Us
- Contains 1 oz of .999 fine Gold in Proof finish.
- Comes in a pentagon-shaped presentation box with certificate of authenticity.
- Limited mintage of 4,500 coins.
- Obverse: Features four competing skiers racing down a slope in traditional garb on gorosoi skis.
- Reverse: Depicts the PyeongChang Winter Olympics emblem symbolizing a world open to everyone and coming together in PyeongChang, a place where heaven meets earth.
- Coins are officially licensed by the United States Olympic Committee.
This coin is one of a series of two Gold and eight Silver coins commemorating the 23rd Olympic Winter Games taking place in PyeongChang, South Korea in 2018. Don't miss this limited opportunity to own a part of history. Add this 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympic Commemorative Proof Coin to your cart today!
The first Olympic Winter Games were held in Chamonix, France in 1924. The Games were held every four years through 1936. World War I interrupted and no games were held in 1940 and 1944 but resumed in 1948. The Summer and Winter Games were held in the same years until the International Olympic Committee decided in 1986 to place them on separate four-year cycles in alternating even-numbered years. This change was implemented in 1992, and the next Winter Games were in 1994.
The Gorosoi Ski event is better known as Cross-Country Skiing in today's vernacular. This coin pays tribute to the traditional ski of the Gangwon Province used widely as a means of transportation in snowy mountain areas. Gorosoi skis consist of a wide hardwood frame and snowshoes and are designed to ease climbing up and down snowy terrain. Sticks used to steer the skiers typically had spears on the end for hunting as well.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.