Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Sell Silver to Us
- Contains 1/2 oz of .999 fine Silver in Proof finish.
- Comes in a square-shaped presentation box with a certificate of authenticity.
- Limited mintage of 25,000 coins.
- Obverse: Features an up-close portrait of an Ice Speed Skating athlete in motion and the coin's denominational value of 5000 WON.
- Reverse: Depicts the PyeongChang Winter Olympics emblem symbolizing a world open to everyone and coming together in PyeongChang, a place where heaven meets earth.
- Coins are officially licensed by the United States Olympic Committee.
This coin is one of a series of two Gold and eight Silver coins commemorating the 23rd Olympic Winter Games taking place in PyeongChang, South Korea in 2018. Don't miss this limited opportunity to own a part of history. Add this 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympic Commemorative Proof Coin to your cart today!
The first Olympic Winter Games were held in Chamonix, France in 1924. The Games were held every four years through 1936. World War I interrupted and no games were held in 1940 and 1944 but resumed in 1948. The Summer and Winter Games were held in the same years until the International Olympic Committee decided in 1986 to place them on separate four-year cycles in alternating even-numbered years. This change was implemented in 1992, and the next Winter Games were in 1994.
The Ice Speed Skating event has been an Olympic contest since the first Winter Games in 1924 with women's contests beginning in 1960. Many elite athletes who have competed in this sport are able to skate at an average speed exceeding 33 mph. Currently, the Netherlands leads the way with 35 Gold medals with the United States close behind at 29 Gold medals. The sport continues to grow and become more and more challenging. As many as 180 athletes (2010 Winter Olympics) have competed representing as many as 25 countries (1998 Winter Olympics) in Ice Speed Skating events, making the stakes high and inspiration palpable.
80% of reviewers recommend this product
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.