|Volume Discount Pricing QuickShip® Eligible|
- Product Details
- Sell Silver to Us
- Contains .4758 oz of fine Silver.
- Comes in a box and includes a certificate of authenticity.
- Maximum mintage of 1,918 proofs.
- Celebrates 100 years of the act that shaped the UK's voting system.
- Obverse: Portrays the definitive portrait of Queen Elizabeth II, designed by Jody Clark.
- Reverse: Depicts people in a line waiting to cast their votes at the ballot box. The strong celebratory pose of the woman holding her ballot aloft is joined by the soldier, the working-class man, and the suffragette, the different classes of society finally being given political voices after years of struggling to be heard.
- Guaranteed by The Royal Mint.
Perfect for any science enthusiast or collector, add this 2018 GB 50p Silver Proof Representation of the People Piedfort coin to your cart today!
Just a century ago, the 1918 Representation of the People Act changed the British voting system forever, giving voting rights to women over 30 "of property", and all men over the age of 21. It was a historic step on the road to equal representation in government. Now, we pay tribute to the movement that gave the vote to more people than any other reform act in British history and triggered 100 years of progress and change.
Reform came at a time when, after the loss and horror of the First World War, life in Britain was being rebuilt. Not only was the male population severely depleted, but the pre-war struggle of the Suffrage Movement had been given an unexpected boost, after women had spent years "holding down the fort" on the home front in what were traditionally male roles, such as farming and coal mining. It was time for change, and with the reform the electorate grew from around 7 million to over 21 million.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review