2018 Great Britain 50p Proof Gold Representation of the People
Rollover to Zoom
Your purchase will match the quality of the product shown. Coins will not have toning unless otherwise noted.
Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Buy Price
Product DetailsThe United Kingdom celebrates the 100th anniversary of the Representation of the People Act, a change that would change the British voting system forever.
- Contains .4567 oz of fine Gold.
- Comes in a box and includes a certificate of authenticity.
- Maximum mintage of 300 proofs.
- Celebrates 100 years of the act that shaped the UK's voting system.
- Obverse: Portrays the definitive portrait of Queen Elizabeth II, designed by Jody Clark.
- Reverse: Depicts people in a line waiting to cast their votes at the ballot box. The strong celebratory pose of the woman holding her ballot aloft is joined by the soldier, the working-class man, and the suffragette, the different classes of society finally being given political voices after years of struggling to be heard.
- Guaranteed by The Royal Mint.
Perfect for any science enthusiast or collector, add this 2018 Great Britain 50p Proof Gold Representation of the People coin to your cart today!
Just a century ago, the 1918 Representation of the People Act changed the British voting system forever, giving voting rights to women over 30 "of property", and all men over the age of 21. It was a historic step on the road to equal representation in government. Now, we pay tribute to the movement that gave the vote to more people than any other reform act in British history and triggered 100 years of progress and change.
Reform came at a time when, after the loss and horror of the First World War, life in Britain was being rebuilt. Not only was the male population severely depleted, but the pre-war struggle of the Suffrage Movement had been given an unexpected boost, after women had spent years "holding down the fort" on the home front in what were traditionally male roles, such as farming and coal mining. It was time for change, and with the reform the electorate grew from around 7 million to over 21 million.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.