Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Sell Gold to Us
Running from Damascus Gate in the north of the city, this Cardo was further extended southwards to the Zion Gate by the Emperor Justinius in the 6th century Byzantine period.
- Contains 1 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- Limited mintage of 3,600 coins worldwide.
- Housed in an original box with a certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: Depicts the Madaba Map, a Cardo pillar in the background, denomination, purity and weight.
- Reverse: Features the famous Roaring Lion, which appeared on a 2,800-year-old ancient seal discovered in archaeological excavations at Tel Megiddo in the Jordan Valley in 1904.
- Crafted by The Holy Land Mint with a face value of 20 New Sheqalim.
Each of the Holy Land Mint's products holds a uniquely historic legacy that is complimented by their renowned reputation for the highest quality coins and rounds. Add this 2018 1 oz Gold Israel coin commemorating the Cardo of Aelila Capitolina to your collection today!
The mosaic map of Jerusalem discovered on a sixth-century Byzantine church floor in Madaba, Jordan, shows the original route of the Cardo and excavations in the Jewish Quarter of the Old City of Jerusalem revealed parts of it. The Cardo had an open roadway in the center for carriages and animals. For pedestrians, there were roofed sidewalks supported by pillars crowned with impressive Byzantinian-style Corinthian capitals.
Today, the restored Cardo in the Old City has become a lively touristic area, reflecting the history of Jerusalem. Along the colonnaded street, modern shops have taken the place of Roman shops that were once there. Day after day, people from all over the world walk along the sidewalk, treading on the same stones, alongside the same stone pillars, all of which are imbued with the unique, enchanting atmosphere of Jerusalem.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.