Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Sell Silver to Us
- Contains .841 oz of fine Silver.
- Comes in the original mint box with a certificate of authenticity.
- Mintage of 5,000 coins.
- Obverse: Features an effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II produced exclusively by Pobjoy Mint.
- Reverse: Features an astronaut standing on the surface of the moon whilst saluting. This view of Earth replicates the image shown on the medal which accompanied the astronauts on their historic mission. The NASA logo is also shown.
- Minted on behalf of Ascension Island by Pobjoy Mint.
This coin is a fantastic addition to any numismatic collection. Add this 2019 Ascension Island Silver1 Crown coin to your cart today!
Apollo 11 launched from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida on 16th July 1969 and landed on the moon four days later on 20th July. Having touched down on the moon’s Sea of Tranquility, the Space Center in Houston was notified with the historic words “The Eagle has landed.” Six hours after landing Neil Armstrong took his first steps on the lunar surface making the infamous statement “One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind”. The planting of the US Flag on the surface of the moon marked the US victory of the “Space Race” between the United States and the Soviet Union which had begun in 1955.
With its direct link to the Apollo 11 Mission, it is particularly apt that this coin is being released on behalf of the Government of Ascension Island. Devil’s Ashpit on the eastern side of Ascension Island made a perfect site to build a NASA tracking station. With volcanic peaks surrounding the site it provided a natural shield against radar and other interference from elsewhere on the island. Originally constructed in 1965 to support the earlier Surveyor missions, it also supported the later deep space and Apollo manned missions and tracked Apollo 11 on its flight from the Earth to the Moon.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.