Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Sell Silver to Us
- Contains .841 oz of Silver.
- Comes encapsulated in an acrylic capsule for protection and housed in a stunning red box with a certificate of authenticity.
- Mintage of only 2,000 coins.
- Obverse: Displays an effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II exclusive to Pobjoy Mint.
- Reverse: Design is based upon the Silver medal which shows an Antarctic scene with members of the sledging party, the ship and a sledge. Penguins and seals can be seen in the plinth below.
- Guaranteed by the South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands.
This coin is a fantastic addition to any numismatic collection. Add this 2019 South Georgia Silver £2 Sir Ernest Shackleton Proof coin to your cart today!
Born on 15th February 1874, Sir Ernest Shackleton wanted to be an explorer from a very early age, inspired by faraway places that he had read about as a boy. At the age of 16, bored by the school curriculum, he went to work in the Merchant Navy. His big break came when he was 27 years old when he was selected to join Robert Falcon Scott’s Discovery Expedition. Departing England on 31st July 1901, it was the first major British exploration of the Antarctic for sixty years.
This expedition ended prematurely for Shackleton as he was sent home early on account of ill health but he did receive the Royal Geographical Society Silver Medal for his involvement. He went on to become one of the world’s greatest explorers. He is perhaps most famous for the heroic rescue of his stranded crew after the sinking of Endurance during the Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition in 1915 which involved an open boat journey across the Southern Ocean and treacherous over-land crossing of South Georgia.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.