Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Sell Silver to Us
When Willie O’Ree stepped onto the ice on January 18, 1958, he wasn’t just making his National Hockey League® (NHL) debut—he was making history. Celebrate Black History Month with this pure Silver tribute to Canadian-born hockey player Willie O’Ree, who became the first Black player to compete in the NHL. A story of courage and determination, O’Ree had to overcome discrimination and a competitive disadvantage to make his hockey dreams come true in the Original Six era. By breaking the league’s racial barrier, O’Ree’s legacy can’t be found in any scoring stats—it’s in the path he carved for future generations of Black players who left their own imprint on the game.
- Contains 1 oz of .9999 fine Silver.
- Limited mintage of 5,500 coins.
- Comes in a black clamshell with a graphic outer box.
- Obverse: The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
- Reverse: The reverse design re-creates a photograph of Hockey Hall of Fame member Willie O’Ree from his playing days with the Boston Bruins (1958, 1960-61). O’Ree’s signature is reproduced above his jersey number (“22”), while in the background, the Boston Bruins logo forms a repeating field pattern.
- Guaranteed by the Royal Canadian Mint.
Your coin honors Willie O’Ree, the first Black player to compete in the NHL Add this commemorative Silver Black History Month coin to your cart today!
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.