|Volume Discount Pricing QuickShip® Eligible|
- Product Details
- Sell Gold to Us
- Contains .2354 oz actual Gold weight.
- Housed in a prestigious wooden presentation case with superbly illustrated shipper and wrap, accompanied by a numbered certificate of authenticity.
- Limited mintage of 1,000 coins.
- Obverse: Features the Ian Rank-Broadley likeness of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the monetary denomination and the 2020 year-date.
- Reverse: The Perth Mint’s Australia Sovereign Gold Proof Coin pays tribute to Wyon’s historic reverse design. With the name of the mint suitably amended, the modern issue also includes a small numeric privy mark denoting that 2020 is the 165th anniversary of Australia’s first sovereign.
- Sovereign coin backed by the Australian government.
These won't last long, act quick! Commemorate the 165th anniversary of Australia’s first sovereign, add this 2020 Australia Gold Proof Sovereign to your cart today!
Australia’s Gold rush of the 1850s unearthed vast quantities of Precious Metal. To turn this enormous wealth into coinage, the first overseas branch of Britain’s Royal Mint was opened in Sydney, capital of New South Wales, in 1855. Enjoying a privilege historically reserved for the mother mint in London, it was empowered to turn Gold into official coins called sovereigns.
In the early years of production, Sydney sovereigns were differentiated from London’s ‘Imperial’ versions by alternative obverse and reverse designs. Created by Leonard Charles Wyon, one of the famous dynasty of 19th century engravers, the Sydney Type I reverse featured elements representing radical departures from tradition.
For the first time the denomination ‘ONE SOVEREIGN’ was included on the reverse which also comprised depictions of St. Edward's Crown and a laurel wreath. The word ‘AUSTRALIA’ was prominently positioned, even though this was a geographical concept at the time rather than today’s fully-fledged nation. To underline the point that these coins were not struck in London, ‘SYDNEY MINT’ was also incorporated in the ‘colonial’ design.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.