Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Sell Silver to Us
Struck by The Perth Mint from 2 oz of 99.99% pure Silver and featuring a rotating ship’s wheel insert, it is issued as legal tender under the Australian Currency Act 1965. HM Bark Endeavour, captained by James Cook, embarked on its Pacific voyage on 26 August 1768 with instructions to chart the transit of Venus across the sun at the equator. Subsequently charting New Zealand in 1769, the British expedition sighted the east coast of Australia at Point Hicks on 20 April 1770.
As Endeavour sailed north Cook charted the coast before making first landfall at a wide, shallow bay south of present-day Sydney on 29 April 1770. Naturalist Joseph Banks recorded so many previously unknown botanical specimens at this location that Cook named the area ‘Botany Bay’. The ship also stopped at what has since become known as the Town of 1770 before Endeavour struck the Great Barrier Reef and ran aground near Cooktown on 11 June. The voyage was delayed while repairs were carried out. The ship then rounded Cape York, stopping at Possession Island in the Torres Strait on 22 August.
- Contains 2 oz of .9999 fine Silver.
- Each coin is presented in a classic black display case, within a stylized shipper, and is accompanied by a certificate of authenticity.
- Limited mintage of 1,770 coins.
- Obverse: The obverse of the coin bears the Jody Clark effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the 2020-year date, weight and purity, and monetary denomination.
- Reverse: The coin’s reverse design features representations of the scientific breakthroughs and discoveries made during Endeavour’s journey. Arranged around a central insert of a rotating ship’s wheel, these representations include the ship, a sun dial charting the path of Venus, navigational tools, Banksia flowers named after Joseph Banks, mapping equipment and James Cook. Also included in the design is a background depicting continents mapped during the voyage, the inscription ‘ENDEAVOUR 1770-2020’ and The Perth Mint’s ‘P’ mint mark.
With a limited mintage of only 1,770 coins and an antiqued coin with original packaging, this item will be extremely popular. Add this 2020 Voyage of Discovery Endeavour coin to your cart today!
In keeping with its historical theme, the coin has been ‘antiqued’ by hand to give it a unique finish conveying the surface abrasions of an aged artifact. As a result of this treatment, the appearance of each coin in the limited mintage may vary.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.