Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Sell Silver to Us
- Coin contains 5 oz of .9999 fine Silver.
- Each coin is housed in a classic display case with an illustrated shipper and is accompanied by a numbered certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: Displays the Ian Rank-Broadley effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the purity, weight, monetary denomination, and the 2020 year-date.
- Reverse: Depicts an exquisitely detailed representation of the signs of the zodiac in color. Original artistry of each star sign created by Perth Mint designer Jennifer McKenna is portrayed within sinuous patterns suggestive of the art nouveau style. Included in the design are the name of each star sign, its pictogram, and a stylized motif representing the Sun, the Moon and stars.
- Tuvalu legal tender.
Add this 2020 5 oz Tuvalu Silver Signs of the Zodiac Colorized Antiqued Coin to your cart today!
Early civilizations believed that the stars, Sun, Moon and planets had an influence on earthly affairs. Observing the night sky over the course of a year, the Babylonians identified 12 different patterns of stars through which the Sun appeared to travel. The roots of astrology lay in the idea that an individual’s character and fate was somehow linked to the arrangement of these celestial bodies at the time of their birth.
The respected Greek astronomer Ptolemy gave the concept scientific respectability in the 2nd century AD when he codified many pre-existing astrological beliefs. He described the zodiac (meaning ‘circle of little animals’) as comprising the 12 constellations, matching them with the month of their apparent ascendancy:
• Aries – the ram (March 21 – April 19)
• Taurus – the bull (April 20 – May 20)
• Gemini – the twins (May 21 – June 20)
• Cancer – the crab (June 21 – July 22)
• Leo – the lion (July 23 – August 22)
• Virgo – the maiden (August 23 – September 22)
• Libra – the scales (September 23 – October 22)
• Scorpio – the scorpion (October 23 – November 21)
• Sagittarius – the centaur (November 22 – December 21)
• Capricorn – the goat (December 22 – January 19)
• Aquarius – the water bearer (January 20 – February 18)
• Pisces – the fish (February 19 – March 20)
To Ptolemy, this ever-changing movement of the stars and planets created atmospheres to which Earth’s inhabitants were sensitive, an idea which continues to resonate with many people to this day. Closely associated with the signs of the zodiac, a horoscope (derived from the Greek words Ora and scopos meaning ‘time’ and ‘observer’) is a chart of the heavens at a precise point in time – such as someone’s birth date. Astrology interprets the meaning of the chart to explain aspects of the individual’s personality and predict future events.
This coin has been "antiqued" by hand to give it a unique finish conveying the surface abrasions of an aged artifact. As a result of this treatment, the appearance of each coin in the limited mintage may vary.
The Perth Mint will release no more than 388 of this unique coin!
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.