Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Sell Silver to Us
- Limited mintage of 10,000 coins.
- Contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- APMEXclusive® worldwide.
- Designed by Joel Iskowitz.
- Coin is encapsulated in an NGC holder, certifying the MS-70 grade of the coin. Also included on the holder is an exclusive label for the Goddesses series, signed by the coin's designer, Joel Iskowitz.
- First Day of Issue designation guarantees the coin was received by NGC ahead of the release.
- Obverse: Likeness of Queen Elizabeth II, date and face value.
- Reverse: Showcases Hera riding in a chariot pulled by peacocks. Her hair is flowing in the wind as she sails through the clouds with one hand grasping the reins and the other holding a scepter, implying her position as queen. A pet peacock sits perched next to her.
Display your certified coin by adding a display box to your order.
Add this NGC-certified Hera and the Peacock 1 oz Silver MS-70 NGC First Day of Issue coin to your cart today!
Learn more about The Goddesses series here.
Hera and the Peacock
Hera was the sister and wife of Zeus, and she was venerated as the goddess of lawful marriage, family and childbirth. She was also regarded as the guardian of women and children. She was revered in Greece, and temples were erected to her in Argos and Salmos. Her spouse Zeus had many extramarital affairs, which made her furious and vengeful toward him and his mistresses, and her fury became as renowned as her beauty among both humans and immortals. She was called Juno in ancient Roman religion, and the cuckoo and peacock are associated with her. Since the Renaissance, Hera has been depicted riding in a chariot pulled by peacocks, further cementing the connection.
According to Ovid, Hera became furious with Zeus for having fallen in love with one of her priestesses, Io. To keep watch over her, Hera transformed Io into a cow and gave her to Argus, her all-seeing giant with 100 eyes. To save her, Zeus dispatched Hermes to execute Argus. Hera had known all along, though, and before Hermes could hypnotize and murder Argus, she took a hundred eyes from the monster's body and affixed them to the tail of a peacock.
The Goddesses Series
APMEX is proud to present our new APMEXclusive® series from the East India Company: The Goddesses Series. This newest collection was created by Joel Iskowitz, and it will look at how goddesses from ancient Greek and Norse mythology are still relevant and seen in modern societies today. Each mythical figure's narrative continues to educate and convey vital information, which is why these tales are still being told today.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.