Designer Philip Nathan chose to depict Britannia in an unfamiliar standing pose, she is nevertheless unmistakable as the personification of Britain.
- Contains a total of 1.85 oz of .9167 fine Gold.
- Includes the following sizes: 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, and 1/10 oz.
- Comes in the original mint box with a certificate of authenticity.
- Limited presentation of only 10,000 sets.
- Obverse: Depicts the likeness of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and the monetary denomination.
- Reverse: The legendary figure of Britannia holding a trident and shield. Her image has symbolized Britain’s strength and integrity on coinage since Roman times.
This exceptional set would be a great addition to any coin collection. Add this beautiful Proof set to your cart today!
Over the years, the image of Britannia has altered slightly, with her maritime links being emphasized by switching her spear to a trident. Britannia is seen as a symbol of British unity, liberty and strength, meaning she resurfaces during particularly challenging times. Like Columbia in the U.S. and Marianne in France, Britannia becomes more prominent in times of war or when national pride is booming.
In 1987, Britannia’s image graced the new Gold bullion coin minted by the Royal Mint known as the Gold Britannia. These Gold coins have since grown in popularity as an investment and a collector’s piece. Gold Britannias are available in sizes as small as 1/20 oz and as large as 5 oz Gold coins. In 1997, the Royal Mint expanded this design to a Silver bullion coin known as the Silver Britannia. Over time, both the Gold Britannia and Silver Britannia have experienced changes in design and an increase in metal purity, making them major players in the modern coin market.