2012 Canada Silver $5 Georgina Pope Commemorative Proof
Rollover to Zoom
Your purchase is guaranteed to match the quality of the product shown. It will not be this exact item.
- Product Details
Product DetailsFeatures four portraits: Georgina Pope in the foreground and, in the background, three military women from the last century whose careers Pope helped to pioneer.
- Contains .75 oz of .9999 fine Silver.
- Coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint branded maroon clamshell case lined with flock and protected by a black sleeve.
- Mintage of only 10,000 coins.
- Obverse: Features the likeness of Queen Elizabeth II.
- Reverse: Designed by Canadian artist Laurie McGaw including a nurse from the First World War, a member of the Women’s Royal Canadian Naval Service from the Second World War, and a female member of Canada’s military today.
- Sovereign coin backed by the Canadian government.
Add this 2012 Silver $5 Georgina Pope Commemorative Proof coin to your cart today!
In 1899, Georgina Pope became one of four volunteer nurses, each given the rank of lieutenant, to travel to South Africa to assist British troops in the South African War. This appointment was a significant moment in the evolution of women’s participation in the Canadian military. For the first time, women acting as nurses were given a military rank as well as the salary attributed to that rank. Because of Georgina Pope and women like her, today’s Canadian Forces, including all branches of the Service are open to women. This coin makes an ideal gift for someone you know interested in women’s previous and ongoing participation in the Canadian Armed Forces.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.