Gold American Eagles are a great addition to an investment portfolio or any Gold coin collection. Proof Gold Eagle coins are collector versions of the U.S. Mint's beloved Gold Eagle bullion coins and have limited mintages, adding to their collectibility.
- Contains 1/10 oz actual Gold weight.
- Comes with mint box and certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: Adapted from Augustus Saint-Gaudens’ famed Gold Double Eagle design, which features Lady Liberty with flowing hair, a torch in her right hand and an olive branch in her left.
- Reverse: Features a male eagle carrying an olive branch flying above a nest containing a female eagle and her eaglets.
- Produced by the U.S. Mint at West Point, N.Y.
Proof Gold Eagles gain even more beauty beyond the classic Gold Eagle design, with their elegant mirrorlike finish. Add this 2013-W 1/10 oz Proof Gold American Eagle to your cart today!
Coins minted from 1986 through 1991 are dated with Roman numerals whereas every 1 oz Gold American Eagle minted after 1992 is branded with Arabic numerals. These Gold bullion coins are available in multiple sizes including 1/10 troy oz, 1/4 troy oz, 1/2 troy oz and 1 troy oz. Each piece is identical in design save the markings on the reverse side of the coin that indicate its weight and face value.
In 1933, because of the Great Depression, the United States government made it illegal for citizens to hold monetary Gold. Citizens were required to sell their Gold certificates, coins, and bullion to the U.S. Treasury save a few exceptions including jewelry and numismatic coins. In 1975, private ownership of Gold was again made legal and in 1986, American mints began to make bullion coins. Pursuant to the Gold Bullion Coin Act of 1985, these coins are made exclusively from American Gold.
The coin is minted at the West Point Mint in New York. The mint deals in large amounts of Precious Metals and is responsible for striking all proof and uncirculated American Eagles in Gold, Silver, and Platinum as well as all Gold commemorative coins.