- Product Details
- Sell Gold to Us
- Contains 1/2 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- Comes in an original box from the U.S. Mint along with a certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: Features the bust of former First Lady Ida McKinley.
- Reverse: Commemorates Mrs. McKinley's charity work by crocheting thousands of slippers that were auctioned off through the depiction of two hands crocheting.
- Produced by the U.S. Mint at West Point, N.Y.
- Weight and purity guaranteed by the U.S. Mint.
This series of coins honors Presidential First Ladies who have added so much to our country. Add this 1/2 oz Gold Coin to your cart today!
Born in 1847 to a well-to-do family, Ida McKinley worked at her father's bank as a cashier, a position normally filled by men. She met William in 1867 and they married 4 years later in January 1871. Soon after the loss of her children Katherine and Ida, in 1875 and 1873 respectively, her health began to deteriorate as she developed epilepsy and became completely dependent on her husband. William loved her devoutly and cared for her so much that he insisted he be seated next to her during state dinners, which at the time was very untraditional. Her normal day consisted of her hobby of crocheting slippers, as represented by the reverse design of this Gold coin.
She remained First Lady of the United States until her husband was assassinated while still in office in 1901. Though she was too distraught to attend his funeral, she visited his grave every day until her own death 6 years later. The house she was born and raised in is now a National Historical Site in Canton, Ohio.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.