Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Sell Gold to Us
- Contains approx. 1.42g actual Gold weight.
- Produced at the Constantinople mint.
- Grade and authenticated as being in Mint State condition by NGC.
- Strike 3/5, Surface 3/5.
- Obverse: Shows a facing right bust of Phocas with the legend: "DN FOCAS PER AVC".
- Reverse: Shows "VICTORI FOCAS AVC" cross potent. "CONOB" (which translates to Constantinople Gold) appears below.
Protect and display your Emperor Phocas coin in style by adding an attractive display or gift box to your order.
Add this Byzantine Gold Tremissis Emperor Phocas coin to your cart today!
This Gold Tremissis dates from the reign of the Byzantine Emperor Phocas (602 - 610 AD). His reign was marked by violence from the beginning. In 602, after rising through the ranks in the army, Phocas took advantage of the military's displeasure with the Emperor Maurice, and had him killed, thus proclaiming himself as the new emperor. He was popular at first, but his mismanagement of the empire led to him making many enemies. Phocas responded to this by executing thousands in an attempt to spread fear and keep his power. The tyranny had become too much of a strain on the empire, and after only eight years on the throne Phocas himself was executed by is own successor, Heraclius.
|Mint Mark||N/A - Not Available|
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review