Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Sell Silver to Us
- Contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- Coins come packaged in a box with a certificate.
- Max mintage of only 200 pieces.
- Obverse: Stylized design of a Hawksbill turtle, also known as the Taku, swimming along the ocean floor amidst tiny bubbles in a black ruthenium finish highlighted in 24kt Gold.
- Reverse: Fiji coat of arms and 2013 date.
The Fiji Taku is a coin that is admired around the world. Add this stunning version of the 2013 Fiji 1 oz Silver $2 Taku to your cart today!
Hawksbill turtles are found throughout the tropical waters of the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans. Named for their narrow, pointed beak, they are also recognizable by a distinctive pattern of overlapping scales on their exquisitely colored shells. This species prefers coastlines and coral reefs where they can find sponges, a primary food source for these omnivores.
Making incredible migrations to move from feeding sites to tropical beaches that serve as nesting grounds, Hawksbill turtles come to New Zealand every year from Fiji. Although they have been sighted as far south as Cook Strait, they are mostly seen in the upper North Island of New Zealand in the clear, shallow waters of the island shelve.
Like many sea turtles, Hawksbills are a critically endangered species due mostly to human impact. Hawksbill eggs are still eaten around the world despite the turtle’s international protected status, and they are often killed for their flesh and their stunning shells that are highly valuable in some marketplaces.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review