This 1997 dated 1/2 oz Platinum Eagle has a low population of only 14 coins certified by PCGS as MS-70.
- Contains 1/2 oz of .9995 fine Platinum.
- Certified by PCGS as a perfect MS-70 coin.
- First Year of Issue.
- Obverse: The strong face of the statue below the word "Liberty," with the year and "In God We Trust" to the side. "E Pluribus Unum" is engraved along Liberty's raised arm.
- Reverse: An American eagle with outstretched wings soaring in front of a sunrise with "United States of America" above. The weight, purity and $50 face value are also shown.
- Guaranteed by the U.S. Mint.
Protect and display your Platinum Eagle in style by adding an attractive display or gift box to your order.
Platinum Eagles combine quality Platinum bullion appeal with a beautiful patriotic design. Add this rare 1997 dated 1/2 oz Platinum American Eagle to your cart today!
The only investment-grade Platinum coin produced by the United States Mint, the American Platinum Eagle was finally released in 1997. It is the official Platinum bullion coin of the United States and is the only coin the mint backs for weight, content and .9995 fine metal purity. The coin is available in sizes of 1/10 troy oz, 1/4 troy oz, 1/2 troy oz, and 1 troy oz.
The obverse of the standard bullion coin features the Statue of Liberty, while the reverse boasts a bald eagle soaring through the sky with the sun behind it. However, on the 1 oz Proof Platinum Eagles, the reverse changes annually. From 1997 through 2002, the various designs on these coins were part of the “Vistas of Liberty” program. In this series, a bald eagle was depicted flying over a different region throughout the United States. From 2006 to 2008, a three-year design series called “The Foundations of Democracy” represented the three branches of government. In 2009, a six-year series was introduced to honor the Preamble to the Constitution. A special two-year series began in 2015 featuring modern representations of Lady Liberty.