Struck two or more times, Proof coins have a very high degree of detail. These 1/2 oz Gold Eagle coins are collector versions of the U.S. Mint's Gold Eagle bullion coins and have limited mintages, adding to their collectibility.
- Contains 1/2 oz of actual Gold weight.
- Comes packaged in a U.S. Mint box and includes the certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: Adapted from Augustus Saint-Gaudens’ famed Gold Double Eagle design, which features Lady Liberty in front of the Capitol. The West Point Mint's "W" mintmark is shown below the date.
- Reverse: Designed by Miley Busiek featuring a male eagle carrying an olive branch flying above a nest containing a female eagle and her eaglets.
- Sovereign coin backed by the U.S. government.
Proof Gold Eagles provide the classic, beloved design in an even more beautiful finish. Add this 1/2 oz Proof Gold American Eagle to your cart today!
Coins minted from 1986 through 1991 are dated with Roman numerals whereas every 1 oz Gold American Eagle minted after 1992 is branded with Arabic numerals. These Gold bullion coins are available in multiple sizes including 1/10 troy oz, 1/4 troy oz, 1/2 troy oz and 1 troy oz. Each piece is identical in design save the markings on the reverse side of the coin that indicate its weight and face value.
In 1933, because of the Great Depression, the United States government made it illegal for citizens to hold monetary Gold. Citizens were required to sell their Gold certificates, coins, and bullion to the U.S. Treasury save a few exceptions including jewelry and numismatic coins. In 1975, private ownership of Gold was again made legal and in 1986, American mints began to make bullion coins. Pursuant to the Gold Bullion Coin Act of 1985, these coins are made exclusively from American Gold.
The coin is minted at the West Point Mint in New York. The mint deals in large amounts of precious metals and is responsible for striking all proof and uncirculated American Eagles in Gold, Silver, and Platinum as well as all Gold commemorative coins.