Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Sell Silver to Us
Following the popular 2016 Silver medal, which sold out from the U.S. Mint in less than 10 minutes, the anticipated 2017-P medal is here. Celebrating the Mint's 225th year anniversary the Silver medal is a counterpart to the 2017-W American Liberty Gold Proof $100 coin, bearing the same design of Lady Liberty.
- Proof Medal contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- Comes in a U.S. Mint box along with a 225th anniversary booklet bearing as the certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: Liberty as an African-American woman, wearing a coronet of stars, designed by Justin Kunz and sculpted by Phebe Hemphill. Credit is given to both artists and the medal includes both their initials, “JK” and “PH.”
- Reverse: A bald eagle in flight designed by artist Chris T. Costello and engraved by Michael Gaudioso. The medal includes the Philadelphia "P" mintmark as well as the initials of the artists, “CTC” and “MG.”
- Rim: Smooth edges, rather than reeded.
- Medals are not legal tender.
Handle your product with care by adding these cotton hand-gloves to your order.
Add this Proof Silver High Relief Medal to your cart today!
The is the first 2017 Silver Medal of 2017, soon to be followed by a 2017 4-Medal Silver set which will include: a reverse proof medal from the Philadelphia Mint, a standard proof from the San Francisco Mint, an Uncirculated, or burnished, medal from the Denver Mint and a regular proof issue from the Philadelphia Mint.
Part of the exciting new collection of U.S. Mint Silver Medals, the Commission on Fine Arts (CFA) and the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) were both involved in selecting the new modern design of Lady Liberty. A new design was favored as noted in the comments of CCAC member Donald Scarinci,
“Show us Liberty in a new and contemporary way, and let’s shed these Civil War symbols, these hundred-year-old symbols that really don’t have the emotional impact to contemporary Americans that they did 100 years ago.”
Following on those sentiments, Chair Mary Lanin expressed, "We have an opportunity, all of us, to make a difference in applying a new perspective and to broaden the view of Lady Liberty which up to this point has been cast in a European classical mold. There are three things that we should keep in consideration: We should be inclusive of the fact that there are many races that make up the United States. We should be mindful that each of us has our own ideal of what a woman or Liberty should look like, and we may need to broaden that. And we should be sensitive when we make our choice that the characteristics are matching those ideals.”
100% of reviewers recommend this product
Date:Jun 27, 2019
The Presentation is Majestic more sutil and Beautiful can't be better. You start to open and every movement of your hand give you a Awesome moment of the PRESENTATION, all is elegant -all black - all is Delicious until you can see the Coin like a star One Thousand THANK YOU for this present, the price no make honor to the Fantastic product, is a really Gift.
- Value (low premium over spot)
- Attractive Design
- Collectible (lower mintage)
- Mint Condition
- Recognized Brand
Posted By:Jake E.
From:Oklahoma City, OK
Date:Jul 9, 2017
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.