Simplify Your IRA Experience with APMEX IRA®
End the back-and-forth with custodians, depositories, and dealers. Embrace a seamless Precious Metals IRA experience. Set up in one sitting, and enjoy the industry's fastest and easiest IRA experience - all without the traditional hassle and high-pressure sales tactics.
IRA Made Exceptionally Easy
Register with your personal details such as full legal name, date of birth, and social security number. Get started on your journey in just a few minutes.
REQUEST FUNDS TRANSFER
Submit your account information and fund seamlessly from your bank or other sources. Safe, Fast, and Reliable.
Discover a wide range of IRA-approved products, handpicked and guaranteed for IRA eligibility.
Enjoy a one-of-a-kind experience by completing your APMEX order while your funds are pending with Equity Trust Custodian.
Precious Metal IRA Custodians
Our preferred Precious Metal IRA Custodians will assist you with the creation and maintenance of your Precious Metals IRA. They will also provide their preferred depositories for the storage of your IRA-eligible products.
Unlocking Your Investment Potential
Effortlessly invest in your future. Create an APMEX Precious Metals IRA account and place orders quickly without the hassle of paperwork, a lengthy approval process, and phone calls.
Our hassle-free online experience offers streamlined account creation and management. You will be ready to order from a wide range of precious metals in just 30 minutes.
Take control of your retirement savings and join thousands of satisfied customers who trust us with their retirement investments.
What Our Customers Say
Check out was quick and easy! Even I could do it!
Quick and easy, even for an old person like me.
Easy check out and great prices!!
Empowering Your Financial Journey
What is IRA Approved Gold?
Let us talk about retirement accounts. Do you know what distinguishes IRA approved gold from other gold products?
Gold IRA vs Physical Gold: Comparing Your Investment Choices
Gold IRA vs Physical Gold: explore tax advantages, diversification, and security for your wealth.
What Gold Coins are IRA Eligible?
Do you know what gold coins are eligible for Gold IRAs? This article explains the IRS standards that gold coins must meet for IRAs.
What are the Tax Benefits of Rolling a 401(k) into a Gold IRA?
Explore and contrast 401(k)s with Self-Directed IRAs to unveil the tax advantages of gold IRAs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does APMEX have a minimum dollar amount for an IRA purchase?
Yes, the minimum purchase from APMEX for an IRA is $2,000.00 (USD).
Is there a minimum dollar amount when I wish to sell my IRA Precious Metals back to APMEX?
Yes, our minimum purchase for all sales to APMEX is $1,000.00 (USD).
What types of IRAs are eligible to transfer or roll over?
All IRAs (Traditional IRA, Roth IRA, SEP IRA, SIMPLE IRA, Solo) are eligible for direct rollover. Ask your IRA custodian for details or any limitations.
Can I open a new IRA with a contribution?
Yes, you can open a new IRA with a contribution, and your annual contribution limit remains the same.
Can I transfer money from an existing IRA account to fund my Precious Metal IRA, without incurring any tax penalties?
Yes. If you have an existing IRA or 401(k), the easiest way to set up a new Precious Metal IRA is by transfer. You transfer the amount you want to invest in a new IRA, and there are no tax penalties. Your IRA custodian knows exactly how to do this and will facilitate the process.
What documentation is needed to process my application?
Custodian requires a completed application which may require a copy of your driver’s license. Additional paperwork may be needed if you are planning to fund your new account with a rollover or transfer.
How do I add funds to my IRA account?
Adding funds to your IRA trading account is a crucial step in your investment journey.
There are three primary methods to do so:
Rollover from Employer Plans
Eligibility: This option is usually available if you have left your employer or have reached the age of 59½. It is not typically an option while you are still employed with the sponsoring employer.
Investment Options: Great for diversifying into investment options not available in your employer's plan, such as precious metals.
Cost: Generally, there is no cost to move funds, but always verify with the plan provider.
Tax Status: The transferred money retains its tax-advantaged status.
Initiation: You initiate the rollover with the plan you're transferring funds from.
Transfer from an Existing IRA
Eligibility: If you already have another IRA account.
Process: Complete a simple transfer form with our custodian, who will handle the rest.
Duration: Typically completed in 5-7 business days.
Frequency: No limit on the number of transfers per year.
Tax Status: Transfers are tax-free and not reportable on your tax return.
Eligibility: Depending on IRS limits.
Tax Status: May be tax-deductible; proceeds may be tax-free in a Roth IRA.
Our custodian partners are available to guide you through the process of choosing the IRA type and funding method that best suits your needs.
What is the difference between investing in a Precious Metal IRA and owning a Precious Metal ETF?
Investing in a Precious Metal IRA and owning a Precious Metal ETF serve different purposes and come with their own sets of advantages and drawbacks.
- Precious Metal IRA: Ideal for long-term investors, this option allows you to invest in physical precious metals, which are stored in an IRS-approved depository. You won't be able to take physical possession of the metals without incurring penalties and taxes, but you do have the reassurance of owning a tangible asset. These IRAs also come with storage costs and possibly other fees.
- Precious Metal ETF: More suited for traders or those looking for short-term gains, ETFs are paper instruments that track the price of the metal but don't require you to store or insure physical metals. This offers greater liquidity and the option to move in and out of markets more quickly. However, because you don't own the physical metal, you take on counterparty risks.
When will I be eligible for distributions from my IRA?
At the age of 59 1/2, the beneficiary of an IRA may begin receiving penalty-free distributions from their account.
Who is eligible for a Traditional IRA?
If you are under age 70 1/2, and have earned income, you’re eligible for an IRA, including one that holds precious metals.
Can I transfer money from an existing IRA account to fund another IRA without incurring any tax penalties?
If you already have an IRA account, then you can transfer some or all of the account to a precious metals custodian to invest in precious metals. Just complete a simple form with your custodian and they will take care of the process.
Types of Forms Needed for IRA Transfer:
- Transfer Request Form: This is the primary document needed to initiate the process. It will require information about your existing IRA account, the custodian, and the amount you wish to transfer.
- Account Opening Form for the New IRA: If you're opening a new IRA with a custodian, you'll need to complete an application form to establish the new account.
- Customer Identification Documents: Many custodians require additional documentation to verify your identity, which can include a copy of your driver’s license or other government-issued identification.
- Investment Direction Form: If you're moving the IRA to a specialized account like a Precious Metals IRA, you may need to fill out an investment direction form specifying your investment choices.
- Additional Paperwork: Some custodians might have specialized forms depending on the type of assets in the IRA.
Can I have more than one IRA?
Yes. An investor may have multiple IRAs, but no matter how many you have, your total annual contribution limits remain the same.
What Types of Precious Metals Can I Invest in Through My IRA?
When it comes to diversifying your IRA with precious metals, you have several options available. The metals and forms they can take are regulated by the IRS, ensuring their purity and quality. Here are the options:
- Coins: Your IRA can hold one, one-half, one-quarter, or one-tenth ounce U.S. gold coins.
- Bullion: Certain types of gold bullion are also permitted.
- Coins: Investment is limited to one-ounce silver coins minted by the U.S. Treasury Department.
- Bullion: Specific types of silver bullion are eligible.
Platinum and Palladium
- Coins: Certain platinum coins are eligible for inclusion in your IRA.
- Bullion: Both platinum and palladium bullion can be included, provided they meet IRS purity standards.
make the selection process easier for you, we have compiled a list of IRA-eligible products. Simply click on this link to view them
Can I Store My Purchased Precious Metals at Home?
We understand the appeal of keeping your investments close by, but when it comes to precious metals held in an IRA, home storage is not an option. According to IRS regulations, all physical assets owned through an IRA must be stored in a secure, IRS-approved depository. This ensures the safety and integrity of your investment.
You'll be pleased to know that our APMEX Customers have the option of a low-cost storage option called Citadel. With this option, your metals are segregated and fully insured.
What is the difference between a rollover and a transfer?
Understanding the nuances between a rollover and a transfer is crucial for effective retirement planning. Here’s a simplified guide to help you distinguish between the two:
- What it is: A Transfer involves moving funds directly from one similar account to another, such as from one IRA to another IRA.
- Custodian Role: The funds move directly from the current custodian to the new custodian without you having to touch the money.
- Implications: Transfers are not reportable events.
- Time Frame: Transfers usually take around 5-7 business days to complete.
- What it is: A Rollover is the process of moving funds from a qualified plan, typically a 401(k), into a different type of qualified account like an IRA.
- Types of Rollovers:
- Direct Rollover: Funds move directly from the old account to the new account.
- Indirect Rollover: Funds are distributed to you, and you have 60 days to deposit them into another qualified account.
- Time Frame: Rollovers generally take longer than transfers, often requiring 10-15 business days.