2017 Great Britain £2 Proof Silver First World War Aviation
Rollover to Zoom
Your purchase will match the quality of the product shown.
- Product Details
Endorsed by Imperial War Museums, this coin honors the first pilots and observers that risked their lives in the First World War.
- Contains 0.3568 oz of fine Silver.
- Comes in a box and includes a certificate of authenticity.
- Maximum coin mintage of 7,000 proofs.
- Features a Gold-plated rim for a stunning two-tone effect.
- Obverse: Features the definitive portrait of Queen Elizabeth II, designed by Jody Clark.
- Reverse: Portrays a pilot and his observer performing a reconnaissance flight over an area of the battle Arras, in April 1917. The land below is shown as a map. The Royal Aircraft Factory R.E.8. plane featured in the design was a commonly utilized reconnaissance aircraft of the time.
- Guaranteed by The Royal Mint.
Honor this historic point in the First World War and add this 2017 Great Britain £2 Proof Silver First World War Aviation coin to your cart today!
At the outbreak of the First World War, few people believed aircraft would play a major role in the conflict. Hot-air balloons had been used for observation and reconnaissance for almost 100 years and the Royal Flying Corps, a branch of the British army, began its life as an "eye in the air", reporting on the positioning of enemy forces. As the war developed into the bloodiest conflict ever seen, the race for superior air power began.
Pilots, observers and crew risked their lives testing the new technology. Deployed above the battlefields, often beyond the call of duty, they suffered the effects of altitude and freezing temperatures. From the "romanticism" of the air aces, dueling in the skies above the trenches, to the work of the reconnaissance and supply craft, these flyers were the first of their kind in their battle for supremacy in the air. In 1918 the Royal Air Corps became the Royal Air Force we know today and has defended the skies ever since.
The edge lettering of this coin pays tribute to the first aviators to sacrifice their lives in the race for the skies, remembering the days of the war when "The Sky Rained Heroes".
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.