Artistically designed, this impressive set celebrates the 20th anniversary of the Silver Britannia with a special 2017 Trident mint mark.
- Contains a total of 1.939 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- Includes the following sizes: 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/10 oz, 1/20 oz & 1/40 oz.
- Comes in the original mint box with a certificate of authenticity.
- Maximum mintage of 2,600 sets.
- Obverse: Each coin features the 5th effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and the monetary denomination, design by Jody Clark.
- Reverse: Depicts a new, modern Britannia. She holds her ancient warrior attributes including the familiar crested helmet, spear, and shield. Great Britain is illustrated by incorporating Britannia into its silhouette, her flowing robe is in fact the stable, rocky surface of Britain itself.
This exceptional set would be a great addition to any coin collection. Add this beautiful Proof set to your cart today!
Britannia is the female personification of Britain, an enduring symbol that has appeared on coinage for centuries. Throughout shifts in art and politics, technology and popular culture, she has reflected the spirit and values of the nation.
The Britannia Collection from The Royal Mint has become known for showcasing modern artists, who create their own interpretation of the icon. For 2017, Louis Tamlyn has created a modern interpretation, reflecting a year of political change when the eyes of the world have often been on Britain.
This year also marks two significant anniversaries for the Britannia coin. In 1987 The Royal Mint introduced a new bullion coin to the international market. The coin was called Britannia and three decades later we mark its 30th anniversary. 2017 is also the 20th anniversary of the first Silver Britannia bullion coin, making it a historically important year for the coin.
Over the years, the image of Britannia has altered slightly, with her maritime links being emphasized by switching her spear to a trident. Britannia is seen as a symbol of British unity, liberty and strength, meaning she resurfaces during particularly challenging times. Like Columbia in the U.S. and Marianne in France, Britannia becomes more prominent in times of war or when national pride is booming.
In 1987, Britannia’s image graced the new Gold bullion coin minted by the Royal Mint known as the Gold Britannia. These Gold coins have since grown in popularity as an investment and a collector’s piece. Gold Britannias are available in sizes as small as 1/20 oz and as large as 5 oz Gold coins. In 1997, the Royal Mint expanded this design to a Silver bullion coin known as the Silver Britannia. Over time, both the Gold Britannia and Silver Britannia have experienced changes in design and an increase in metal purity, making them major players in the modern coin market.