|Volume Discount Pricing QuickShip® Eligible|
- Product Details
- Sell Silver to Us
- Contains .666 oz of fine Silver.
- Packaged with a mint box along with a certificate of authenticity.
- Mintage of 30,000 coins.
- Obverse: The coin’s reverse features a Junkers 52, which, despite initial skepticism about its airworthiness due to its ungainly appearance, became an early stalwart of air passenger transport.
- Reverse: This 1927 flight is commemorated on the coin’s obverse in the form of a globe on which the two cities are linked by an arc; Igo Etrich’s Dove can be seen in the foreground.
- Guaranteed by the Austrian government.
This coin is a fantastic addition to any historic collection. Add this 2019 Austria Silver €20 Reaching for the Sky: Advent of Powered Flight coin to your cart today!
Humans have envied the birds’ ability to fly through the air since the dawn of civilization, which is no doubt why our feathered friends were the inspiration for much early aircraft design. That was until Bohemian aviation pioneer Igo Etrich began basing his designs on the aerodynamics of the seed of a tropical plant called Zanonia macrocarpa found on the island of Java. On falling to the ground the seeds generate lift, which slows their descent and helps them remain aloft. By adding a 60-horse power engine to an aircraft with zanonia-shaped wings, Etrich managed to fly the ‘Dove’ from Vienna to the northern town of Horn and back. Even more impressive was the 33-hour non-stop solo flight from New York to Paris by a young man named Charles Lindbergh in the ‘Spirit of St Louis’, a fabric-covered, single engine seater, monoplane.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.