2015 Great Britain 8 oz Silver Battle of Waterloo Medal
Rollover to Zoom
Your purchase is guaranteed to match the quality of the product shown. It will not be this exact item.
Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Sell Silver to Us
With a mintage of only 1,815 coins and a truly fascinating backstory, this unique medal is a must for collectors and historians alike. The large 8 oz size allows the exquisite design to be shown in superb detail.
- Contains 8.038 oz. of .999 fine Silver.
- Exact recreation of the Waterloo Medal designed by Benedetto Pistrucci that took 30 years to complete.
- Comes in custom box with a certificate of authenticity and a commemorative booklet.
- Obverse: The heads of the four allied nations are featured at the center: Prince Regent George IV, Francis II of Austria, Alexander I of Russia and Frederick William II of Prussia. Surrounding these busts is an allegorical representation of the Treaty of Peace that emerged from the battle (the Latin inscription ‘Federe Junctis’ alluding to the treaty itself).
- Reverse: Represents the mythical ‘Battle of the Giants’, where the giants are said to have unsuccessfully challenged the Olympian Gods. In this composition, Pistrucci depicted 19 figures struck down by the thunderbolts of Jupiter – 19 for each year of the Napoleonic Wars.
- Guaranteed by the Royal Mint.
Add this strictly limited mintage Silver medal to your cart today!
When the Battle of Waterloo brought more than two decades of the Napoleonic Wars to an end, a welcome period of peace settled over Europe. A fitting tribute, the Waterloo Campaign Medal was struck for all who fought in the battle. But another accolade was commissioned, a second, magnificent medal designed by talented engraver, Benedetto Pistrucci, to be presented to the heads of the allied countries and the commanders involved in the battle. Though a masterpiece of minting with a dramatic tale of its own, Pistrucci’s Waterloo Medal went unstruck in his lifetime and for many years beyond.
For the 200th anniversary of that epic battle, The Royal Mint is striking Pistrucci’s work of genius. The ornate medal bears Pistrucci’s original design, inspired by mythology, as you might expect from the creator of the legendary St. George and the dragon that is seen on The Sovereign each year. A life’s work, the medal took Pistrucci more than 30 years to complete yet, sadly, the design could not be struck due to its size, and all due to receive the medal had died.
For 2015, the medal is struck in sterling Silver with an 80 mm diameter, carefully crafted by the Royal Mint, where the design was conceived and perfected. Pistrucci’s design is resplendent in all its glory with the original inscription – unique to this special edition – as wrought by the master engraver’s own hand, for we have revisited his original workings to complete his masterpiece. Explore the story of passion and politics that lies behind this tribute to the men who never received this magnificent honor, and to the great man behind this work of numismatic genius.
The renowned Italian engraver, Benedetto Pistrucci, was commissioned by the Royal Mint to work on new designs for the recoinage of 1816. His most famous design, the legend-inspired St George and the dragon, still adorns the sovereign, the flagship coin of the Royal Mint.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.