1/4 oz American Gold Eagle Coins
The 1/4 oz American Gold Eagle is a gold bullion coin produced by the United States Mint. It is one of four denominations available in the American Gold Eagle series, the others being the 1 oz, 1/2 oz, and 1/10 oz coins.
The 1/4 oz Gold Eagle has a face value of $10, but its true value is based on the market price of gold. The coin is made from 22-karat gold, which means it is composed of 91.67% gold, with the remaining 8.33% made up of copper and silver. Regardless of its metal composition, it still contains exactly 0.25 ounces of pure gold.
The obverse of the coin features the famous design of Lady Liberty, created by Augustus Saint-Gaudens for the $20 Double Eagle gold coin in 1907. In the background is the Capitol building in Washington D.C. The reverse features a family of American eagles, with a male eagle carrying an olive branch flying above a nest containing a female eagle and eaglets.
The American Gold Eagle series was first introduced in 1986, and the 1/4 oz coin has been produced every year since then. These coins are popular among both collectors and investors, as they are considered a safe and reliable way to invest in gold.
A Historic Design Change: Type 1 vs Type 2
The obverse design of the 1/4 oz American Gold Eagle coin features a stunning depiction of Lady Liberty, one of the most iconic designs in American coinage. The design was originally created by Augustus Saint-Gaudens for the $20 Double Eagle gold coin, which was issued by the U.S. Mint from 1907 to 1933.
In the design, Lady Liberty stands confidently with her left foot on a rock, holding an olive branch in her left hand and a torch in her right. Her flowing robes and windswept hair convey a sense of freedom and vitality, while the sun's rays behind her symbolize enlightenment.
The original Type 1 reverse design of the 1/4 oz Gold Eagle features a family of American eagles, with a male eagle carrying an olive branch flying above a nest containing a female eagle and eaglets. The design was created by Miley Busiek, an accomplished artist and sculptor who won a competition to design the reverse of the American Gold Eagle series.
The combination of the classic Saint-Gaudens design on the obverse and the striking Busiek design on the reverse has made the 1/4 oz American Gold Eagle a popular choice among both collectors and investors. The coin's high gold content and recognized value also make it a reliable way to invest in physical gold.
There was an important design change for the 1/4 oz American Gold Eagle in 2021. The United States Mint introduced a new, Type 2 reverse design for the coin as part of a series of updates to the American Eagle coin program.
The new reverse design features a close-up depiction of an eagle's head, with a fierce, determined expression. The design was created by Jennie Norris, a renowned artist and illustrator who has previously worked on other coin designs for the Mint.
In addition to the updated design, the 2021 1/4 oz American Gold Eagle also features new security enhancements to deter counterfeiting. These enhancements include a reeded edge variation and a visible security feature in the form of a small "E" mint mark located on the reverse of the coin, which indicates that it was produced at the Mint's West Point facility.
It's worth noting that the obverse design of the 1/4 oz Gold Eagle remains the same, featuring the iconic image of Lady Liberty originally created by Augustus Saint-Gaudens for the $20 Double Eagle gold coin.
Gold Eagle Price
You may find yourself wondering, "How much is a gold coin worth?" The price of a Gold Eagle depends on the spot price of gold at the time of purchase. The 1/4 oz gold coin price will be one quarter of the spot price of gold, in addition to a premium. Supply and demand, along with market fluctuations, will determine the American Gold Eagle price. The condition of the coin also affects the price. Coins that are graded, burnished, cull, cleaned, brilliant uncirculated, or sold in TEP will affect the premium as well.
1/4 oz Gold Eagle Mintage Figures
American Gold Eagle bullion coins are struck according to public demand, determining the mintages for each year. The following are mintages for 1/4 oz Gold Eagles.
- 1986 - 726,031
- 1987 - 269,255
- 1988 - 49,000
- 1989 - 81,789
- 1990 - 41,000
- 1991 - 36,100
- 1992 - 59,546
- 1993 - 71,864
- 1994 - 72,650
- 1995 - 83,752
- 1996 - 60,318
- 1997 - 108,805
- 1998 - 309,829
- 1999 - 564,232
- 2000 - 128,964
- 2001 - 71,280
- 2002 - 62,027
- 2003 - 74,029
- 2004 - 72,014
- 2005 - 72,015
- 2006 - 60,004
- 2007 - 34,004
- 2008 - 70,000
- 2009 - 110,000
- 2010 - 86,000
- 2011 - 80,000
- 2012 - 90,000
- 2013 - 114,500
- 2014 - 90,000
- 2015 - 158,000
- 2016 - 152,000
- 2017 - 64,000
- 2018 - 62,000
- 2019 - 38,000
- 2020 – 106,000
- 2021 Type 1 – 56,000
- 2021 Type 2 – 108,000
- 2022 – 140,000
Why Buy 1/4 oz Physical Gold from APMEX?
When you buy Precious Metals, you are investing in assets that transcend the volatile market. Bullion can play an essential role in a modern portfolio, as it hedges against the uncertainty investors typically find with other common investments, such as stocks and bonds. Gold and silver can be a game changer for your investment strategy. Explore the benefits of buying gold and silver.
There are several benefits to buying physical gold with 1/4 oz American Gold Eagles:
- Tangible asset: One of the primary benefits of owning physical gold is that it is a tangible asset that you can hold in your hand. Unlike other forms of investment, such as stocks or bonds, physical gold can provide a sense of security and stability during times of economic uncertainty.
- Diversification: Gold has historically had a low correlation with other asset classes, such as stocks and bonds, which means that it can provide diversification benefits to a portfolio. By adding physical gold to your investment mix, you can potentially reduce your overall portfolio risk.
- Recognized value: The 1/4 oz American Gold Eagle is a widely recognized coin with a known value, which can make it easier to buy, sell, and trade. Gold coins like the American Gold Eagle are highly liquid, meaning that they can be easily bought and sold at fair market prices.
- Long-term value: Physical gold, including 1/4 oz American Gold Eagles, has a long history of maintaining its value over time. While the price of gold can be volatile in the short term, over the long term, gold has proven to be a reliable store of value.
- Privacy: Another benefit of owning physical gold is that it can offer a level of privacy and anonymity. Unlike some other forms of investment, there are no reporting requirements for buying or selling physical gold in the United States, which can be appealing to some investors. Overall, the 1/4 oz American Gold Eagle is a popular and reliable way to invest in physical gold, offering a range of benefits for investors looking to diversify their portfolio and protect their wealth.
- Fractional gold provides control: When you need to turn gold into fiat currency, your fractional pieces provide a means of liquidating only the amount you need or want to, without excess. This additional control is a benefit of holding smaller size gold coins and bars, such as the ¼ oz gold eagle.
- Gold will never lose 100% of its value: during times of economic crisis, it’s common to see companies fail. When they do, stocks and bonds can lose all value. Gold will never lose 100% of its value. Its reputation as a safe haven asset is well earned.
Buy 1/4 oz Gold Eagles Online from APMEX
If you need assistance in figuring out where to buy 1/4 oz American Gold Eagle coins, or if you should have any issue placing an order for U.S. Mint gold bullion on APMEX.com, we are eager to assist you. Our team of highly trained customer service associates can answer any questions on how to buy gold and can be reached during normal business hours.
APMEX Customer Reviews
For 20 years, APMEX has provided customers with an easy shopping experience they can trust. We pride ourselves on transparency and consider every customer review to be valuable feedback. Please take a moment to read our reviews from valued customers on fractional Gold Eagles and more. We welcome and encourage feedback – each review allows us to improve your Precious Metals buying experience.