- Product Details
- Sell Silver to Us
- Contains 1 oz of .9999 fine Silver.
- Mintage of only 5,000 coins.
- The coin is housed in a classic display case with a clear lid. Packaged with an illustrated shipper, each coin is accompanied by a numbered certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: The coin’s obverse depicts the Jody Clark effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and the monetary denomination.
- Reverse: The coin's reverse features a central mother of pearl insert in the shape of the Australian continent. It is encircled with representations of iconic marine creatures found in Australian waters, including a great white shark, sea turtle, seahorse, blue-ringed octopus, starfish and stingray. Included on the reverse is the coin’s weight, purity and year-date together with The Perth Mint’s "P" mint mark.
- Sovereign coin backed by the Australian government.
The unique use of Australian Mother of Pearl in this Silver coin design is sure to appeal to collectors around the world. Add this beautiful Mother of Pearl Great Southern Land coin to your cart today!
Evolving across more than 3,000 million years, it is also unique as the lowest, flattest and driest continent (after Antarctica) and home to a diverse range of climates, landscapes and animals. Once recognized as the ‘unknown land of the south’, legends of Terra Australis Incognita date back to Roman times. The existence of this hypothetical landmass was based on the theory that continental land in the Northern Hemisphere was balanced by land in the Southern Hemisphere.
While depictions of Terra Australis on world maps varied greatly between the 15th and 18th centuries as explorers traversed the Pacific Ocean, British navigator James Cook is credited with producing the first charted maps of the east coast in 1770. The voyage of the British Royal Navy’s HM Bark Endeavour led to the documentation of several previously unknown species of flora and fauna that have come to define Australia.
Perth Mint Commemorative Coins
APMEX carries many stunning Silver Commemorative coins from The Perth Mint with exciting themes and unique finishes. Experience the animals of The Outback with the Deadly & Dangerous Series or travel back in time to your favorite Western with classic John Wayne coins. Our assortment contains a range in sizes from 1/2 gram to 5 oz coins, making these Australian Commemorative coins attainable for collectors of all budgets.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.