Currently Out of Stock
- Product Details
- Sell Gold to Us
- Contains .5138 oz of 91.67% fine Gold.
- Limited mintage of 300 coins.
- Housed in a prestigious wooden presentation case with superbly illustrated shipper and wrap, accompanied by a numbered certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: Depicts the Jody Clark effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the 2022 year-date and the monetary denomination.
- Reverse: The Perth Mint’s Australia Sovereign Gold Proof High Relief piedfort coin pays tribute to Wyon’s historic reverse design. With the name of the mint suitable amended, this modern issue also includes the small "70" numeric privy mark and Platinum plated St. Edward’s Crown denoting that 2022 is the Platinum Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s accession to the throne.
- Sovereign coin backed by the Australian government.
Protect your product from fingerprints by adding these cotton gloves to your order.
These won't last long, so act quick! Add this 2022 Australia Gold Proof Sovereign Piedfort to your cart today!
About the Gold Sovereign Piedfort
Australia’s Gold rush of the 1850s unearthed vast quantities of Precious Metal. To turn this enormous wealth into coinage, the first overseas branch of Britain’s Royal Mint was opened in Sydney, the capital of New South Wales, in 1855. Enjoying a privilege historically reserved for the mother mint in London, it was empowered to turn Gold into official coins called Sovereigns.
In the early years of production, Sydney Sovereigns were differentiated from London’s "Imperial" versions by alternative obverse and reverse designs. Created by Leonard Charles Wyon, one of the famous dynasty of the 19th century engravers, the Sydney Type I reverse featured elements representing radical departures from tradition.
For the first time the denomination "ONE SOVEREIGN" was included on the reverse which also comprised depictions of St. Edward's Crown and a laurel wreath. The word "AUSTRALIA" was prominently positioned, even though this was a geographical concept at the time rather than today’s fully-fledged nation. To underline the point that these coins were not struck in London, "SYDNEY MINT" was also incorporated in the "colonial" design. Sovereigns bearing this reverse were produced until 1870, after which all Australian-made versions featured Imperial designs with the addition of a small mint mark.
Perth Mint Commemorative Coins
APMEX carries many stunning Silver commemorative coins from The Perth Mint with exciting themes and unique finishes. Experience the animals of The Outback with the Deadly & Dangerous series or travel back in time to your favorite Western with classic John Wayne coins. Our assortment contains a range in sizes from 1/2 gram to 5 oz coins, making these Australian commemorative coins attainable for collectors of all budgets.
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review
We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.